pregnant and worried

I watch my cousins 18 month old and he is a pretty heavy kid. Theres no way I can get through the day with out picking him up frequently. And I know your not supposed to lift heavy things. I'm worried about losing my baby bc of it. Please anybody pregnant with young children can give me some advice.

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You do know that there are cultures in which pregnant women do back breaking work up until they deliver? They have happy healthy babies. I still do not understand where doctors tell us not to pick up heavy objects when we are pregnant if we have always done so before. Pregnancy is not a disease that should be treated carefully.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• dont worrie about that how far along are you?? and i was pregnant and i had a 1 1/2 year old and a three year old i picked up the whole time.. i wouldnt worrie about that if you feel when you pick him up pain or somthing i wouldnt do it but i belive its fine i did it with two pregnancies
    mrm1787

Answer by mrm1787 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• um, you can lift him just fine, will not hurt the baby. Just be carefull on HOW you lift him, your ligaments are stretching and you could pull something easily
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If its a normal pregnancy and your health care provider hasn't told you not to lift then you are doing what moms do all the time. I picked up my 3.5 year old up until my due date.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:27 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I'm a month in and you ladies are easing my mind so much. Thank you
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The reason they advise not lifting things too heavily is because it can cause a placenta abruption which if severe enough can kill the baby. But the 20 pounds is usualy a guideline, I've picked up my 5 year old who weighs 43 pounds quite a few times.

My mother gave birth to a stillborn son at 5 months due to a placental abruption a year before she became pregnant with me.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• it should be fine to carry the toddler! only time you shouldnt do any lifting is if you are high risk. but just follow your body's cues. if he becomes too heavy, dont carry him. if that's all he wants, perhaps you can go down to his level and give him hugs?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I don't carry him around all day thankfully I broke him of that, Its mostly picking him up from his playpen and putting him in and out of the car. And putting him in his highchair.
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• if you're only a month in and not high risk, you're totally fine. and like everyone else was saying, you'll really be ok throughout.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• my son is 2 years old and i lift him daily. i put him in bed (still in a crib!) every night and take him out every morning, for example. also i lift him up for big hugs and kisses! i agree with the PP that said if you feel like you are straining yourself, stop, but if everything feels a-ok, keep lifting him, unless a doctor or midwife tells you otherwise :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2009