How do you feel about kids being on Ritalin to treat ADD or ADHD?

I don't think it's right at all. Someone should take the time to work with these kids instead of putting them on drugs in order to deal with them. It's just sad. My cousin used to be on it and when he was younger, he was like a zombie that would sit on the couch and just stare at the TV.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• I've worked with kiddos with behavior issues for 10 years. It all depends on the kid. If the kiddo just has some extra energy, then I would not condone the meds. But let me just say that there are children out there who cannot even FUNCTION w/o a med to calm them down. It would be an injustice to withhold ADD/ADHD meds from those specific kids. It wouldn't be fair to the child who would'nt be able to learn, the teachers who wouldn't be able to teach, and the classmates who would be constantly disrupted. There are kiddos out there who have been given a chance to participate in a standard classroom, as apposed to a special needs classroom, b/c they can focus and control their impulses on the medication.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• ADD & ADHD are chemical imbalances in the brain. Drugs help correct the problem. If a child is a zombie then they are not on the right drug or the right dose. Children should have their drugs managed by a psychiatrist if they are having any problems on the drugs.

Saying you don't believe in giving drugs to children with ADD may be worse than saying you don't believe in giving insulin to a child with diabetes. A child has ADD can miss years of effective education the child may never be able to make that up. Education problems could decrease lifetime income by millions.

Kids need to be treated for psychiatric disorders. If they are on the right doses of the right drug they won't be zombies. If they don't get drugs it can have lifelong consequences.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with you 100% i think its a way for parents to shut up their bad parenting! my son would be considered needing meds a year ago. I just worked with him. We have words that we use to let him know he is getting out of hand. I WOULD NEVER put my kids of those stupid zombie meds. Take a parenting class. get some patience. My son can't freaken sit still for 2 minutes but i just remind him DARIUS RELAX!! he says sorry mommy bcuz he just doesnt think before he acts. oh no should i run to get him meds bcuz he dont listen to me?? or should i pay attention to when he is getting out of control be consistat and correct his behavior?? parenting people parenting!!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Omg, I feel bad for him.

They should have changed the does, or found something better for him. What did the mom do? or dad? They should have complained or took him off.
    It is up to the parents, not the doctors.

I am not to comfortable with the idea, but I have heard a lot of success stories. My daughter is add (adhd) and she will never be like a zombie, because I am not having it.

I explained I will not have her drugged out, and she must remain her bubbly self. No, question about it.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• meds shemeds!! i was depressed and preg but didnt know yet and they diagnosed me bipolor and put me on all these meds. OMG I am not mental. They gave me pills to shut me up. these meds are a joke
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:44 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Medication should be a last resort. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Mrs.O, sounds like your kiddo just needs some extra attention and redirection... If you've never spent a great deal of time with some of the severe cases that are out there, I guess its easy to say that the parents just aren't doing a good job parenting. You should be so lucky that your child responds as he does... Not all ADHD kids have that kind of control.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The 1st mistake was taking the "paddles" out of school & handing out pills instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My son get's attention. He was tested and they said he has ADHD answering some questions from me his dad and the school. PLEASE my son is just fine. I will NEVER put my child on those meds EVER. you drug your kids if you want. I have great stretching skills my child gets plenty of attention. He just has impulse issues. speach delay and a few other issues. but guess what pill pusher NO MEDS!! they said ADHD i said thanks for your opinion. We are working through it. He will be just fine. choices have consequenses. he knows that. He gets reminded to calm down. we have a schedule. a reward chart. so no meds for my kid
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 10:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think it depends on the kid and the situation.

its sometimes easily controlled by diet and activity. my middle dd is ADD - we have her on a pretty specific diet cutting out a lot of the extra stuff that exxagerates the symptoms of the ADD. we also keep her moving, if she's moving and constantly stimulated she's easier to handle.

only in the severe cases would I medicate.
    dh was wrongly medicated as a teen because it - "was easier" and he hated it so doesn't want to do that.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2009