What do you put in your grits?

When I am indulging in the unhealthy variety I cook mine in milk then add cheese and butter. Sometimes I will make some tomato or country gravy to go along with them. For a healthy day I will cook them in chicken stock and skip the butter. I always use 2% cheese. What do you do?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 9:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Here is a recipe my grandmothers would disown me for :add some fresh grated parm-regg cheese,some finely chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil and a tiny bit of truffle oil.lol I say lol because it has to be a tiny bit it is expensive but also in taste a tiny bit goes a long way.My fave is your way though but with a shot of Tabasco.For a meal I add a couple or three eggs ,a dash of worcestershire , sub season salt and cheese stir in pot until all melted together then pour in glass pan and bake 350 for 45-60 minutes.You can add bacon,cooked sausage or diced ham.This doubles or triples well to fit a 9 x13.I grew up eating this for breakfast, now I always fix this for Thanksgiving,Christmas ,Easter mornings.Or any excuse I think of.Fix the night before.My southern born husband but from a very northern family never had this till we were engaged.Now his family loves it .

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Maybe no one here eats grits....

What? Are there only a bunch of Northern folks online this morning? Where are all my Girls Raised In The South? lol!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• butter, salt and black pepper
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 9:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Butter, salt and pepper and sometimes cheese and bacon bits.. yummy !!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Thanks, drfink! Those are some great ideas!!!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Butter and creole! Mmmm! It's good with shrimp too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I make mine with salt, butter a touch of cream or half and half and cheese. I love grits. The parm, sundried tomato and truffle oil sounds so good.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009