Does anyone still use an old-fashioned pressure cooker?

What are some of your favorite recipes using one? My great-grandma doesn't use a crock-pot and cooks most of her meats in a stove top pressure cooker, like sirloin tip roast and turkey breast. It is always so good but a little intimidating to use at first.

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 9:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I use it to cok just about anything...chicken, beef roasts, pork roasts, veggies I love it...you can make an entire meal in 30 minutes vs 8 hrs in a crock pot and it's just as tender
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Have you ever cooked a whole chicken in one?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yes. once the bopper starts bopping regularly, turn the heat down some while still getting a regular bop, then let it cook about 20-30 minutes depending on how big the chicken it. It should not cover up the hole in the lid or it will cause a major problem. Make sure to put enough water to cover the bottom tray in the cooker (you can use stock as well). Once you get to the time limit, let the pressure ease off naturally or you can put it under cold running water to cool it quicker.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Windy- mine has been in the box since last Christmas. I remember when I was a kid, my mom was cooking something in one and the lid exploded. It was so scary I am still chicken to try it out. LOL
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 10:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• ave.maria It is a possiblity but as long as you turn the heat down once it starts bopping and only open it after the pressure has been bled off, there is very little risk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I am intimidated by them too but I want to use it so bad.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Jademom- what is something easy that I could cook in it- to kind of dip my toes in the water?
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 1:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009