anyone who waited until after 2 years old to switch crib to toddler bed? how old? tips? how did it go?

I cannot believe my son is still in his crib! He is 2 years and 1 month and has not climbed out at all. I know he has the capability though, and I want to switch his crib over to a toddler bed soon.

I am just wondering who else switched after 2 years old. Any tips? How did it go?

I have a friend whose twin boys were still in their cribs until after 2, and they could climb in and out. my MIL says her twin sisters were also in their cribs until 3 but they were also had developmental and mental delays.

I am 7-8 weeks pregnant right now, and definitely want to have this transition done within the next few months. (as well as potty training but that's another story!)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was in a crib til he was 2yr and 1 month also. He NEVER climed out of his crib or even attempted to. I switched after we moved, instead of putting it back together as a crib I put it up as a toddler bed. I had no probllems, and still dont. He has been in his toddler bed for a year. I have no problems keeping him in it at bed time. Our only problem is now at about 5am he wakes up and climbs in bed with us. So thats something we need to work on. Good luck!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2 tomorrow....(WOW) just switched this weekend to toddler bed....OMG...if they will stay in the crib....leave them there!!! There is no rules for the age to change to toddler bed...it all depends on the child.
    Good luck...hope you get more sleep than I do. :)
    Rickysmom507

Answer by Rickysmom507 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I switched my son to a toddler bed at about 21 months, because he would literally freak out in his crib and pitch himself out head first.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i should have said that i am concerned because he usually wakes me up once per night, sometimes twice, so i'm really worried that he will just wake me up all night long! and right now, he goes to be so well in his crib! but i'm worried that with the freedom a toddler bed allows, we will have major bedtime battles.

my youngest brother is 7 and my mom and stepdad had major issues when they switched his bed. he was in their bed half the night.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think the AAP is now recommending children to stay in a crib until age three unless they are climbing out. My son is the same age as yours and is perfectly content staying in his crib. I won't move him anytime soon, unless he starts trying to escape. Why bother messing up his routine, you know!?
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Answered at 10:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 by:

* Glowing4Caleb
    I think the AAP is now recommending children to stay in a crib until age three unless they are climbing out. My son is the same age as yours and is perfectly content staying in his crib. I won't move him anytime soon, unless he starts trying to escape. Why bother messing up his routine, you know!?

that's interesting! i'll have to read into that. :) thanks
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i am wondering the same thing too. My son just turned 2 on sunday and he is still in his crib. however he's always fought us at bedtime so I dread the toddler bed because I am afraid of the freedom it will give him to run around. I am terrified actually.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My cousin's oldest son will be three this month. He has no developmental delays or anything, but he still sleeps in his crib. They took the front bar off so it's more like a toddler bed now, but it's not a traditional toddler bed, you know? She said he got up and ran around for a few days until she laid down the law. She put the bar back up on the crib and that taught him that if he ran around, he'd go back to the "baby bed". LOL! I'm guessing he transitioned fairly well, because he sleeps in it perfectly fine now.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• ALL of mine were switched after 2 - the youngest age we switched at was 2yrs 2mos, the oldest age was just a couple of months before 3. Mine never attempted to climb out, refused to potty train (except the 2yr2mo one, who trained herself so we had to switch), and we didn't need the crib til about that age either for the next one. Frankly, it seemed like the longer we waited the easier the transition was!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My son was well over two when we switched him to a toddler bed. He never did climb out (unless I was in there an he could grab my hand after I put the rail half down and his toy box was sitting there. lol) Anyway he slept in his bed all night the very first night we put him in it. He didn't start getting out of bed in the morning on his own for over a month. Still hasn't gotten out in the middle of the night (knock on wood! hehe)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009