Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of services are in greater demand for children with Autism?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • ABA, occupational therapy, physical therapy.
    Play therapy, music therapy, art therapy.
    Speech therapy.
    Diet therapies, such as casein, gluten free and others.
    Biomedical interventions including vitamins and certain supplements.

    This is just a fraction of what's out there.
    Each child has different requirements and not everything will work for every child.
    Many, many "therapies" have not been sanctioned by mainstream doctors.
    ABA, or applied behavioral analysis, has been approved by the APA, but a minimum number of hours each week is required, at least 20, I think, 40 hours ideally. Very expensive.Parents can be trained to do it at home some.
    With autism, parents must educate themselves extensively, and this is time consuming, but rewarding.

    Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • Elaborate?

    I'd say early intervention/special education, obviously. And supportive health services for all the other stuff that some kids with autism deal with.

    Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • A service that will correctly diagnose the child, so that Autism services will go to kids that actually have it. Autism is trendy now, like how ADD and ADHD was a few years ago.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • Just to let you know, ADD?ADHD are widely considered to be a part of the autism spectrum.

    Maybe lots of people don't know WHERE to put kids on the spectrum, but ANY problem a child is having should be addressed.

    Obviously, less affected kids will require fewer services.
    Addressing a child's needs to the best of our ability is not TRENDY.

    Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009