Do I have to get my dog nuetered now that the baby is coming?

PLEASE HELP! My M.I.L is telling me to give away my dog or get him nuetered because he will "eat" my baby. I don't beleive her and know she can go overboard...But is there truth to this?

PrettyMommy502

Asked by PrettyMommy502 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Pets

• No your dog will not eat the baby. There is no risk for the baby unless the dog is naturally hostile. If it is a boy and he will he humping than personally I would get the dog neutured but if you don't want to for any reason then don't. Having a pet around a baby is a good experience for the baby.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 5:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Sounds like your MIL may be mentally retarded or something! LOL! so's mine! LMAO! no seriously, if your dog is not aggressive there's no reason to get rid of him, he will see the baby as a new member of "his" pack . . . however if you needed/wanted to get him fixed it might be best to do it before baby comes, as you will have the money readily available and the time to devote to his recuperation ( they send em home still wobbly ) and what not. The baby he will probably adore, regardless, but be more calm and tolerate a lot more from if he is neutered tho. I have had many unneutered males around my babies tho and never any problems! I think your MIL is just looking for an argument or doesn't like the dog!
    thegoddessofwit

Answer by thegoddessofwit at 6:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• wow..thanks guys. That was very helpful!
    PrettyMommy502

Answer by PrettyMommy502 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• No, but it's generally a good idea to get your pets spayed and neutered so as to not add to the amount of homeless pets. But I've never heard of a dog needing to be neutered so he does eat your baby. That's a bit asinine.
    mandjsmama

Answer by mandjsmama at 7:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• as long as he doesn't jump up or try to "love the baby" too much it doesn't matter if his hum-hum is still there or not.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 9:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Talk to your vet. We had a german Shepherd, and he was not neutered, and we never had a problem.....Of course never leave the dog alone with a baby.
    Anonymous

• When i first read you had to get your dog neutered because you're having a baby i was scared. either something freaky happens i don't know about, or there is someone more paranoid than me. I thought the concern was about a non neutered dog trying to mount your baby or something EWWWWW
    Anonymous