My son is 2 1/2 and will not sleep through the night...up every few hours....any suggestions???

Rickysmom507

Asked by Rickysmom507 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you can quiet him down a few hours before sleeping time, try reading a bedtime story or let him listen to soothing music. If he's really up often during the night, maybe he needs something..hungry or thirsty perhaps?
    mother4ever0426

Answer by mother4ever0426 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• A 2 1/2 year old should be able to sleep through the night without needing anything. My 20 month old has been since he was 7 months old. I would suggest not going in there unless he's really, really crying. If he's just up talking or wanting to play, you need to ignore him so he can learn to fall asleep on his own. Is he in a toddler bed now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• you could try not putting him down for a nap in the afternoons or shortening nap time that's what i had to do with my 2 year old she does sometimes get cranky toward the end of the night but she doesn't get up in the middle of the night anymore

jen699

Answer by jen699 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It's normal for a child to not sleep through the night until they are 3. I don't sleep through the night and I'm 53! Not everyone sleeps through the night.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would try giving him an early nap and make the nap time no longer then an hour and half. Also maybe before dinner time make play time very active so he will burn alot of his energy off before bedtime and then after dinner give him a relaxing bath and story time and then off to bed. GL
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 10:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• He may have allergies or fluid in his ears that irritates him to make him stay up or wake up.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• What is he doing when he awakens? Is he asking for a drink? Is he cold? Is he scared? How do you respond to him when he awakens?
    01.Amey.07

Answer by 01.Amey.07 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My dr told me with my daughter. First make sure nothing is wrong before you put her to bed. Then if she screams to ignore her. Only if she doesnt want to go to bed. If something is generally wrong dont ignore her. After almsot 2 weeks of 2-3 hr screaming fits she finally slept through the night. This all happened when she was almost 2 yrs old. two weeks in a row we had to go away for the weekend and so that threw her off of her normal sleeping through the night. But now she might play for 20 min before she goes to sleep but at least she is quiet.
    armyprincess811

Answer by armyprincess811 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2009