About regular checkups for a puppy?

Hi, I have 7-8 weeks old Siberian Husky.
It's my first my owning a dog ever since I was little, so I have a lot things to learn how to take care of the Husky.

1)How often should I visit a vet for a checkup on the pup?
2)How much is it approximately for one visit for a checkup?

I'd really appreciate your answers.
Thank you for helping me out with the pup!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pets

• awwww, I bet he is a cutie!!!

call around and check with some local vets......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Check Craigslist and you should be able to find out about low cost shot clinics in your area. There are usuallyl free vet exams and each shot costs around $10. Microchips around $15. If you don't find anything on Craigslist you could call the Humane Society or go to Petsmart when they are having an adoption event and talk to the volunteers. Watch the newspaper.

You might want to read up on vaccines and dogs. Some people and vets think dogs are getting too many and its harmful.

A yearly check up is needed to get a heartworm test so you can get the pills. You can't get the pills without the test.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• We have a Husky, the best advice I can give you is to keep him on a lead at all times when you're outside, unless you have a fenced yard. They love to run and are hard to catch.. No matter how attached to you they are, they still love to run.
    Otherwise they are such awesome dogs to have as pets, and for children. As for the vet, take him in for his first visit and they will let you know what he needs. All of them are different so the prices are different.. GL with your new baby!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• this is something you should have looked into before getting a dog. It tends to more expensive with bigger dogs if they need medication and the heartworm meds and fleas med run higher for the larger dogs. Heartworm meds are must it is cheaper to prevent then to treat.
    Puppies are expensive the first year you need to go about every 3 weeks for several rounds of vaccines until they are are about 4 months old. that can easily cost you 150 each visit just for vaccines and check up and deworming.It will be more for medication. I would plan on spending 300 just for the first visit, better to plan high then not be prepared.

Then once they are a year they should see the vet at least once a year for vaccines and a routine checkup. Some areas have started vaccinating for the Distemper shot every 3 years once they reach a certain age so that will save you money
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• He probably had his first shot before you got him. I agree, he will need to go in every 3-4 wks until he is about 4 months old. Then you will only have to take him in once a year for a checkup/bloodwork. Depending on your state/city, he will either need yrly or every 3 yr rabies shots. The other shots, I would only do the puppy series, then one yr after the last one, then every 3 yrs thereafter. Dogs don't really need shots every yr. Just think about it...do you get your kids vaccinated every yr, do you get vaccinated every yr with everything there is (flu shot I can understand since the flu changes every yr)?? Why should your dog?

As for cost, it depends on your area. It only cost me $40-60/yr to take my dogs to the vet when they need their shots.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2009