Need advice from experience on switching from crib to toddler bed

Hi Ladies! I have a 2 year old that Iam getting ready to switch to a toddler bed. I'm pretty nervous about it and wondering if anyone has some suggestions or warnings? How did you deal with him/her getting up outa bed all the time? How long did that last?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Shawntell

rugratnme

Asked by rugratnme at 10:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with my kids i just put them in their bed and closed the door they would come to the door and cry for a bit but they always went back to their bed I did make sure there was nothing in their room they could hurt themselves on over time they learned to just stay in their bedand after they were asleep i do open the door so they can come to my room if they have a bad dream
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I did the super nanny thing and just keep putting back to bed. tuck in and say goodnight the first time, say goodnight the scecond, no words after that. Just be consistant. It lasted 3 days for me. Then just randon nights since then (we did it at about 1 1/2 she's 2 1/2 now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I expected a fight but didn't get one... It helps that we read him to sleep every night instead of letting him go to sleep alone, but even when he wakes in the middle of the night, we just change him and put him to back to bed with a drink and he stays there... Like I said, I expected a fight, but it never came.

I'm sure your experience will be different than ours, but making the bed seem like a "toy" instead of a punishment helps. Our son LOVES his bed. He sits in it and reads to himself. He likes us to sit in it with him and play toys. Never use it for timeout.

And a baby gate instead of closing the door helps, so they don't feel all locked away. And a pristinely baby-proofed room so if they are up out of bed but not crying, you can just leave them alone. And a monitor so you know if they are in there making havoc.

Good luck!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2009