Did anyone's ultrasounds indicate a missing or short nasal bone?

If so, what was your outcome? ( nasal bone measurement if you can remember)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• down syndrome
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I wish I could help but I really don't know... anon that was rude no explaining or anything just down syndrome. I know know if you are trying to be funny or if you are serious but when you are preggo you worry about everything and down syndrome is a big deal you don't just throw it out there it be funny. If you are serious why not explian why you think so...
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 10:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i said down syndrome simply b/c it was the same issue i had. short nasal bone is what the doc. indicated on my son when we had our ultrasound done. but the only sure way to tell was amnio. and he was correct. he has down syndrome. hes 4 years old now. and why is it a big deal? i love my son the way he is what makes him different than others?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• my niece has down syndrome its NOT a big deal. If you love your child you wouldnt care either way. An amnio is pointless if u ask me it just puts ur child at risk. Theres nothing you can do till the child is born so why do the amnio?? the child has downs then yes you will need to get some help for the child. Here they come out to ur house and work with them. You can get ssi to help out with the baby too. But if it is downs dont stress about it, that will make it worse. Theres NOTHING wrong with a child with downs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Nothing but I think that if you know that your child has it before you give birth at least you can be prepared with taking care of a baby with down syndrome. To some people it's a big deal so they can prepare for it, if my son had it then it wouldn't matter to me. Thanks for explaining
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 11:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Anon- do you remember the measurements of the nasal bone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Also Anon- was there any other markers? And did you do the Quad screen?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have not personally had anyone say anything about my babys nasal bones i have been told all my u/s look great but I did have the bloodwork come back abnormal for down syndrome..and with me being a first time mom if was devastating to me...so the nasal bone and bloodwork are something to worry about..i have been waiting patiently for almost 4wks to do our big scan and see if the baby has downs...good luck op I wish you the best
    Anonymous

• I didn't have that marker (short nasal bone) with my son but I did have my AFP come back as high risk and three markers that caused the perinatologist to be concerned that there could be a chance that my son would be born with downs syndrome or some other chromosomal problem. The markers I had were short femurs, short humerous bones and later in the pregnancy they thought the baby had IUGR. I opted not to have an amnio although looking back I wish I had it. Not because I would abort but because of the stress if put on my husband and I (and probably indirectly on to our other young child). In the end, my son was born and was perfect. No chromosomal issues. Perfect 9 on his apgar. Absolutely no sign of having short humerous or femur bones. Also did not have IUGR. Ultrasounds leave so much guess work. Amnio is the only way to be 100% sure of what's going on.

I wish you luck and and hope all is well with your baby
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 1:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009