How do I get my 3yr old to poop in the potty

He very seldom goes poop in the potty. He knows what he is to do and when he poops in pants I ask him where he is to go and he always says in the potty. If I force him to sit on the pot he holds it in for days. We have had problems with constipation but I think we maybe over that. But part of me thinks he believes pooping in potty is going to hurt. Please help

Kathy697

Asked by Kathy697 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell him the potty is hungry and wants to eat his poo, thats what my friend did with her baby. she had a difficult time before she tried that.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I battled with my son FOREVER about going on the potty, and I finally came to the conclusion that you CAN'T make them go poop on the potty, you can only offer the opportunity and wait for them to want to do it..
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• You are causing the constipation problems. Back off until his stools return to normal. Don't make a big deal about poop in pants. As his stools return to normal he may start going on the potty himself.

If not, don't start causing him to be constipated again. He may not know before he has to go. It may not be under his control. Some boys have problems. Parents even try beating and it doesn't work. Kids don't want to poop their pants!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2009