Does your 2 year old say please and thank you?

My son has said please and thank you since he was 21 months, as long as he was prompted to say it. And now, he'st 24 months, and I was so proud yesterday when he held out his cup and, without so much as a look from me, he says, "More chocolate milk please, Mama!" It melted my heart. Does your 2 year old say please and thank you, with or without prompt? And does it melt you like it does me?

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes, all my children do, because i make sure they do all the time. including mam and sir.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My daughter is only 15 months so she doesnt really talk but I make sure to always say please and thank you whenever I ask her for something. Hopefully she will be polite. I think everyone should view manners has a important part of paenting your child. Its never too early to teach her how to be polite.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• *parenting
    drs1206

• My 15 month old says "thank you" and we're working on "please" but he mixes it up with cheese, and cheers.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yep, always have, I make sure I tell them as they go for the bus, "Don't forget your please and Thank yous!!!!" We always get compliments on how polite our boys are.. That makes my heart melt and I'm so proud of them...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• OP - Yup, its definitely important. I've been prompting Jake to say them for months, that's why it was so REWARDING yesterday when he said it perfectly and without prompt or missing a beat. I felt like I had succeeded, you know? Good feeling.
    I also love it when he says thank you - especially to people who don't expect this tiny little kid to have manners. When he was 21 mos., a checker at the grocery store gave him a sticker, and I whispered to him, "Can you say thank you?" and he looked right at her and said, "Thank you! Thank you!". She looked SO surprised. And then she gave him another sticker.
    Being polite really DOES get you somewhere!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• yes she does, she says please, thank you, excuse me, bless you. people always tell me good job cuz my lil girl has manners
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yes, my son will say plsae without prompting and thank you with prompting. I chuckle everytime he does it. Might as well start young and make it a habit!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My son always said please and thank you. We were polite with each other all of the time and always used these words when paying ("Please hand me the train" etc)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• yes weve worked on it since he was 1.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 11:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2009