I don't know how to teach my 2 yr old

My DD is 30 mths. I have NO idea how to teach her the colors, numbers, shapes, counting, etc...we have flashcards, she won't sit and pay attention. We read, she's not interested. I make sure to point something out and name it's shape or color. She says everything is a green circle. She can count to 4, but that's all. She is way behind, IMO. Others her age know what a hexagon is! I feel like a horrible mom. I just don't know HOW to teach her!! Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep talking. Explain more and more things to her. She will get it eventually. HAve her help with dishes, count the spoons as you put them away, putting away laundry tell her the colors of the shirts/clothes as you put them away. Just make every thing you say a learning tool
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Talk all the time! In the grocery store make a game of finding a yellow banana or a green cucumber. What does she like to do? Flashcards a boring for many kids, think of ways to integrate lessons into your games. Two year olds are designed to play - don't worry if she doesn't like sitting through flashcards or books, it sounds like she is an active kids so take her to the park and point out the red slide or the purple swings. At home ask her for help making dinner and ask her to pass you the green measuring cup. Make it a game! Don't worry about what the other kids are doing just have fun with her and be with her in a way she responds to. If learning is viewed as a battle she won't want to do it. By the way my two year old has no clue what a hexagon is but she can climb, tumble, dance, sing, play catch and make some killer mashed potatoes!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• IMO I think you're being too hard on her and yourself lol. At that age, they have soooo much energy that it's difficult for them to want to sit still and pay attention. Children all develop differently and they can sense when they're being pressured and that can cause regression. Our 3 year old knows her shapes (I don't think I've taught her a hexagon yet lol) and still likes to call everything either blue or pink. She knows her colors, but loves blue and pink. Maybe your child just likes green circles lol. You're not a horrible mom by any means. Horrible moms don't care if their children learn anything at all. The fact that you're concerned makes you a wonderful mother and you should give yourself more credit. I suggest letting her wear herself out a little bit (not to the point where she's sleepy and miserable though) and then read her a book on either shapes or colors. Ask her questions and let her participate. Good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• She's only 2! She's not behind, you're trying to treat her and teach to her as if she was a preschooler...age 4!!

Stop.

Play with her and label everything. She's going to learn through play and you'll be surprised what happens one day when you let her be a kid...she's going to shock you by knowing how to recognize her letters,numbers, shapes and colors!

You're expecting too much from a 2 year old.

Yeah...I happen to have one of those 2 year olds who know hexagon, pentagon, octagon, trapezoid and parallelagram. But that's because HE was interested and I went with his flow and we played. Go with her flow...if she asks a question, answer it and use it but don't expect a 2 year old to sit down and learn! Hell, they don't even do that in preschool!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• here is how i teach dd. i go to google and i type what i wanna teach, then i go to a website that has cute printouts, i print them out and we color them or go overthe, my dd loves to sit and read. i been reading to her since hse was in my belly. ia lso use this sites and we play learnign games online. pbskids.org, startfall.com and fisherprice. i try to but her educational toys. i take walsk with her and we name shapes and colors. so far she has learn to count to 20, knows all her abc, shapes and colors. jst keep telling her over and over again,. soem kids just atke more timesthen others, my dd is 32 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yeah...I happen to have one of those 2 year olds who know hexagon, pentagon, octagon, trapezoid and parallelagram. But that's because HE was interested and I went with his flow and we played. Go with her flow...if she asks a question, answer it and use it but don't expect a 2 year old to sit down and learn! Hell, they don't even do that in preschool!

thats true kids have to be interested, my dd is very curios and she loves to learn. when she wants to she tell me mommy lets play shcool(i think is cuz when she gest and answer right she gets a m&m) but she loves to learn. soem kids jut take a lil longer to hit the learnign stage i guess
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• We have a couple movies, my grandmother bought for my son (17mon), one teaches colors, (meet the colors, ages 9mo-4yrs, preschool PrepCompanyPresents), then the other one teaches the alphabet, (Leap Frog, Letter Factory) Their great, and entertaining. He's starting to learn most of the letters and sounds now, and he knows blue, and green, we're still working on the rest of the colors, but i'm very proud of him, and I totally reccommend these movies. I'm not sure where you'd find them, but I'm sure they'd be somewhere on the internet. GL, and I'm sure she'll start learning more soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Its all about exposure. Take the pressure off yourself (and especially her) and just, as PP said, label everything. If she sees YOU are interested in counting, she will want to count too. If she sees YOU labeling all the colors you see, she will want to, too. Its a mimic thing. That's all.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i have a two year old and she can't talk very well but she walk's pretty good i have a niece that's one and she can pick up a book and then you point to something and tell her the color and then after she know's tha color very well move her on to show you where it is and make sure that all of this is in one book then when she memorize's it go to the next one.
    babygirl581

Answer by babygirl581 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I can assure you that you are NOT a horrible mom. Not even in the least bit. Some children just aren't interested in that type of thing at first. I suggest just keep doing what you're doing. She doesn't have to respond to it, but if she picks up a toy say "That's a blue Dog". Just keep repeating the shapes, colors, and such to her. It may also help to get an interactive toy that helps her learn these things. She might be more inclined to pay attention when she can interact with the toy. Maybe a toddler lap top, or an aminal that interacts when you press it's feet. Something she can do herself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2009