has anyone had their child evaluated for their speech? if so how was it for your child? how was it for you? did you both grow from it?

supermommy87

Asked by supermommy87 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son had a speech evaluation last month. I had mixed feelings before hand, but afterwards I felt very good. He was only slightly behind and is now having speech therapy about once a week. He's 2 and it is like a special treat to him. The est of us are learning new ways to help encourage him. For us it has been a positive situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I'm not real sure what it is you're looking for....

I've had two evaluated. The speech therapist comes in and sits down with the child. You are there, but need to remain quiet unless the evaluator asks you a specific question.

They played with the boys, asked them questions, pointed to pictures and asked them what it was, then also asked them to point to pictures (to check their understanding). I sat there watching and answered any questions they had.

There are slight changes to each evaluation depending on the age of the child. Different ages are expected to be on different levels.

My boys have been in speech for a year now. One is currently in his last week (he's been declassified) and the other will probably be declassified in December.

There really isn't much to the evaluation. I'm not sure what you're looking for in "growth"...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My daughter has been having speech therapy for six months now. She is two and a half and doing great! The therapist will come to your house and play games with your child and show you ways to integrate more speech into your normal play. It has been a very positive experience for us!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• DS was evaluated in June. A psychologist and a speech specialist came to our house to evaluate him. They played games with him, had him color, things he really enjoyed. I doubt he even knew he was being tested. It was very frustrating for me because his grandparents invited themselves to the meeting, which made him *very* uncooperative and hyper. He wouldn't do many things I knew he was capable of. He did, of course, score low and received speech therapy in the home weekly until his 3rd birthday. Now he's being transitioned to the local elementary, and is still loving his therapy. As far as he sees it, it's just fun new people, books, and toys to play with. His speech has improved a lot in just a few months.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 11:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• yep. My daughter is in speech therapy, we go once a week and she loves it. She cannot pronunciate (sp??) certian letters, and sounds very well. (she is 5) we have been going since Sept. and I have already seen a change in her. She has so much fun with her teacher, they play games and make things, we even get "homework" to do at home.
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2009