• In the Spotlight:

UGG he always says he is sick!

My DS 16 always seems to say he does not feel good and doesn't want to go to school. I told him no fever he goes. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you handle it.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 11:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I WAS your kid in high school. There must be a reason why he doesn't want to go to school. He's avoiding for some reason. Try talking to him about it. Is he bored? Is he afraid of something? If you can't get it out of him try finding someone who can. He could be depressed. There are many reasons. It could just be sheer laziness but it most likely is something more.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• He gets good grades and seems to like school. He is just lazy and stays up to late. Dont know what to do.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 12:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I got good grades too and loved my books and teachers but I had some serious issues with a couple of kids at school and with the best teachers in the world, that alone made me not want to go.

If it really is because he stays up late consider playing the drill sergeant mama. If he can't be responsible for putting himself in bed at a decent hour in order to get to or stay awake at school then try threatening to set a bedtime for him.

I don't have a teenager, yet. So far my kids are still young enough for me to dictate their bedtime and they haven't tried bailing on school yet. All I can give you is my own experience and what I know would have worked for me. Good luck.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would tell him that if he is sick so frequently that he will need to see the doctor and have as many tests run asit takes to get to the bottom of this problem seeing as how he should otherwise be a perfectly healthy and energetic 16 year old boy. If you really think he is doing this because he is tired and not wanting to get out of bed (as opposed to having problems at school) then let him know if he can not regulate his own bedtime you will be forced to take away things that keep him up- which I would guess are things like tv, computer, cell phone and video games? Stress to him that part of growing up is being able to get up for things you don't always want to, and that when he has a job he won't be able to call in sick whenever he doesnt feel like getting out of bed in the morning. Good luck- teens are hard work!!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• How about finding out if something is going on at school that is making him not feel comfortable or safe at school? Don't always assume that it is because he is lazy. Also, someone can be sick without a fever. My son gets migraines and when he gets bad ones, he doesn't go to school. I would find out WHY before I punish or assume. My son refused to go to school in 4th grade and it was because he was being bullied, after that was taken care of he had no problems going to school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It sounds like something is going on at school. He might not tell you, but he might actually be ill from the thought have having to deal with it. I used to get headaches and stomachaches when I would get stressed out, still do, but school was especially hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2009