5 month old teething, can't get him to sleep thru the night

my little one hasn't been sleeping well for about a month and half now- we think it is teething, but my question is- how do i get him to sleep all night. he goes to bed at 8 and will sleep until 2:30, then he wants to eat. i have been bringing him to my bed at this point because i am just soooo tired ( i have a nearly 4 year old too) then in my bed he wakes up about once an hour and wants to eat. at first we thought growth spurt, but now i think it is just habit and teething. he will not go back to sleep in his crib after he wakes to eat. i am not a big fan of the cry it out method this early. i have got up to feed him and tried to lay him back down, but he then cries like crazy. i need some advice or i am going to be the crazy one. i get about 4 hours of sleep a night and can't take a nap during the day because of my 4 yr old and my baby only naps for 30 minutes 3x a day. at the end of the day i am ready to cry- help!!!!

mamaof2becka

Asked by mamaof2becka at 11:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Motrin before bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• don't drug your baby!

it is so normal for a 5 month old not to sleep through the night. my son didn't sleep through the night until he was a year and a half. i KNOW it sucks!!!! i'm a non-CIOer. ;) i think it's best to respond to your child's needs :)
    Anonymous

• oh but there is a book called "the no cry sleep solution" with some good ideas in there. it is hard work though so you have to decide if you want to go on as you are and wait until he gets it on his own, or put in the work to try to get him to sleep through the night sooner. good luck hon, i know how you feel.
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel, my kids are almost exactly the same age as yours and I'm going through the same thing. I don't think it would make you a bad mother to give a dose of Tylenol or Motrin. It's one thing to feed a baby at night because they are hungry but if the baby is waking up to eat only because he is teething then that is different. Too many people think it's not important for a mother to rest at night and I disagree strongly. You can't be an effective parent running on little to no sleep.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Actually you have a baby that technically sleeps through the night. Sleeping through the night is considered a 5 hour stretch. You are much more lucky then many. The only real solution is for you to go down when baby goes down, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. BTW even CIO advocates say no CIO during teething because a teething child absolutely needs your attention.

Anonymous

• Sounds like a normal sleep pattern for a 5 month old. It will pass. He's actually already sleeping "through the night". He's doing a 6.5 hour stretch. My advice? Move the clock. I couldn't even tell you how often my 8 month old wakes up because I don't have a clock in my view and have no idea what time it is when we wake up. We both go back to sleep within seconds and I wake completely refreshed in the morning. Big change from the clock watching days with my first! What you don't know won't hurt you! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• His current sleeping pattern IS technically sleeping through the night...five hours straight is it. Dusk to dawn isn't something to expect on a regular basis in year one.

Go to bed when he does. Really. That will give you FIVE hours. Leave things UNDONE. The house won't fall apart.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My 5 month old has the EXACT same sleep pattern and has for the same time as yours! Before then she was a better sleeper. I thought it was teething, growth spurt, etc...but I think this is just a phase maybe related to that stuff, maybe not. I am not against the CIO method but can't seem to get myself to go through with it...I'm just going with the flow at this point. I don't love it but, just like everything else, I know she'll grow out of it. Someday we'll miss those middle of the night moments with our babies! Try not to worry to much about it - I know that's easier said than done, but I like the above poster's idea of not looking at the clock when she wakes up - it will only stress you out...just try to take a deep breath and make the most of it! good luck! this too shall pass.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2009