any moms with psorasis? What works for you? Did you have it in childhood? I'm an older mom brand new out of the blue with it. How does it differ from excema (sp?) ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• My dd who is 6 has had it almost a yr now. No luck yet with the creams or sunlight.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I don't know how it differs from eczema, but it sucks either way! I have had it over 10 years, and nothing really seems to work, other than soaking in warm water, and consistently slathering lotion on. Gold Bold lotion works, and another trick I use that might sound crazy, but WORKS:

1 old toothbrush with soft bristles
    Baby Vick's Vapo-rub

I wash in warm water, then dry completely. Add a dab of the Vick's to the brush, and rub it using circular motions. It works especially well on my elbows.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• op here. so it just appears originally out of the blue? I haven't had any illnesses or any symptoms of any kind. All of a sudden a tiny bump that over time has grown and is red and thick in some places.
    Anonymous

• I had it out of the blue as well. I have no idea why it showed up.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Psoriasis and eczema are related skin disorders, which are now being looked at as autoimmune. Psoriasis tends to be drier, while eczema becomes weepy and moist.

Both can be indications of something in your diet that doesn't agree with you. The most common problem foods are gluten and dairy. Cutting back on either could afford you some relief. Sensitivities can show up at any time; you could have no problem with either of these things for years, then WHAM! Your body decides it doesn't want to bother dealing with it anymore (nice scientific description there, eh?)

That being said, I get eczema only during the spring time, when pollen counts are high. The things which have worked best for me are sunlight and a salve made from olive oil infused with Nettles, Plantain and Chickweed. Worked better than the $80 prescription! Contact an herbalist in your area to see what they recommend.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My oldest son & my youngest daughter both have it. My son's is in a remission stage right now mostly...think his scalp is beginning to get some again though. My daughter's is very severe right now. We have a dermatologist appointment for her in January (first available for new patients! & I made that in October!). When my son had it badly the dr. had him on Dovonex cream. It cleared it up when nothing else worked. My son is a very picky eater so I am highly doubtful his diet has anything to do with it. He's 19 now & has eaten the same few things for years now & it makes no difference in his skin. He wont drink milk at all anymore (since he was a small child). He didn't get psoriosis till he was about 10. My daughter has recently got it & she is 3. She mainly eats fruits, veggies, & chicken. Nothing OTC is helping anymore so time for her to see the dr.
    Anonymous

• i am almost 30, i have had it since i was 13, the best thing is to moisterize and remove stress, get sunlight and vitimine d. i only ever needed a tanning bed now and then and steriod creams. i ony get it now when i really stress out or get really dry skin, also silver or other metals with nickel in them can suck the moisture right out of your skin (the button on jeans does it to me, i have to keep something under teh button to keep it off my skin if i dont want ot get a rash) exima is realted because it happens when they stress too, but is just a different disease, both genetic, not contagious.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Melaleuca's Renew lotion will help - and it is all natural - with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. www.livetotalewellness.com/go
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• yes, I have it severely on my legs (ankles to knees) and my hands.

had it for the last 3 or so years with no results from the dermatologist and all their medications and therapies.

right now working on a new way to hopefully heal it. got a book today called Healing psoriasis the natural alternative- its based on healthy eating. not sure how to put it into words right now...lol just got the book today. its by Dr John Pagano.

I've tried all the lotions and creams - the melaleuca one BURNED like a S.O.B. and didn't do anything.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• oh...feel free to message if you want more other alternative info. I've got tons....been dealing wtih this for years.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009