how can i help my two year old not freak out when t.v. time is over?

i let her watch a few shows in the morning after she has eatin, then we go out side and play but for about 15mins its the end of the world because the t.v. has been turned off.

britshea

Asked by britshea at 12:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would ignore it and treat it as a fact of life. That's just the way it is, crying and throwing a fit won't help (if you ever bend those rules, you're going to have a fight every single time), and move on to what your going to do next.
    Anonymous

• Dont turn it on. tell her it's broke. Or you can put something on demand and when it's over. it's over. thats what i do. we watch one sesame street then its the radio and me cleaning.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I let my boys know that the when the show/computer/etc is done, we aren't going on it again. If they have 30 minutes, I let them know at 15 min, at 10 min, at 5 min, and at 1 min. I use an egg timer to help show when it is done.....then it is turned off. They never found out what was on after that show......no temptation....Good luck!

Another thing that might help is during the show, ask him to help out with something to get his mind off, and when he is occupied, shut the tv off. I find that when I take the batteries out of the remote, the kids lose interest and just leave.....LOL
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 12:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Give her some control - "Who should turn the tv off today? Do you want to turn it off or do you want Mommy to turn it off?" If she picks neither or screams No, then you turn it off and put her in time out to cool off. Tell her it's sad she's missing out on playtime by having a fit.
    Anonymous

• 1. let her turn off the tv
    2. tell her to say bye-bye as the show goes off and explain that she will watch it again tomorrow
    3. tell her that the characters in the show are about to ____(what ever she is about to do)

I think I typed those in backwards order
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Give a 10 minute warning with a timer, then a 5 minute warning the same way. Or, start a show and say that TV time is over when the show ends.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Ignore it unless it goes on for too long. Then I would spank her leg and tell her that her behavior is being disrespectful to Mommy and that can't be tolerated. All she is doing is attempting to manipulate you into doing what she wants. It's really about rebellion against your authority, and it should not be tolerated for very long at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i think that after a few days of realizing that having a fit will not turn it back on she will stop...? gl!
    Anonymous