Pooting in the potty

So I've been potty training my son... The only time he gets a pullup is at night, or if we're going to be in the car for a long time... He will pee in his potty everytime. He does have accidents sometimes as it's still hard for him to get his big boy underwear up and down... So sometimes he'll pee while he's still trying to get them down. He has a sticker chart, which he loves (he's even been grouping his stickers; all the blue stars together, etc)... But he won't even try to poot (as he says it) in his potty. I've heard this is harder for children, what can I do to help him? I went to a dollar store and got some cars and told him when he poos he can have a potty sticker AND a new car, but that doesn't seem to motivate him enough... Should I punish him for pooting in his pants? I don't think this is the answer, but I don't know what else to do... It's been a month of hardly any messes (except the poo) and he'll potty in public

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 12:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Never punish a child for something they cannot control. It is much harder to train boys anyway. I'm still training mine at age 4, though he has other issues that delay it as well. Anyway, what about a video. Boys are very visual, and maybe seeing other kids doing it, might help. "Once Upon A Potty" is a great video.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• No, definitely don't punish. I don't have any other advice, other than allowing him to go pantless at home for a few days to force the pooping into the potty (or at least not into pants). That worked for my daughter, but I don't know if it will work for every little one.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009