Would like your opinion:

I'm doing an assignment for school and I have to write a paper on this statement. Do you agree or disagree with it?

"Children waste far too much time playing games when they could be involved in more constructive activities."

kangel48446

Asked by kangel48446 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I disagree. I think kids should play more games and spend less time on constructive activities.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I don't agree or disagree.
    Maybe I could decide if you told me what games and what constructive activities you're refering to.
    Anonymous

• I think kids should have free play where they have plenty of time to use their imagination. Kids these days are way over scheduled na they always want to know what they are doing next. Free play allows them to dierct and learn thru play. A kids job is to play..not every min of thier day should be planned out.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Disagree. Kids learn through play. I don't think we allow kids enough space to do that. I actually feel quite bad for my seven year old because I feel he has very little 'play time.' He is in grade two all day, then comes home and has an hour or more of homework. Then dinner, then bath, then karate two nights per week, then bedtime. Sometimes on karate nights he is literally in school, doing homework, or in karate class all day. We have talked to him and he chooses to keep up with karate because he enjoys it... however I do wish they would ease up on the homework at age seven.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• When you say "games" are you referring to video games?
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 12:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I cannot offer a well formed opinion on this question...it is too open.

What kind of games? What kind of "constructive activities"? What age group of children? It would take much more than the space allowed here to answer that question with so many variables.
    Anonymous

• I disagree. Children learn through play therefor it is constructive activity. Now, playing too much of just one game (even if it is an active game) isn't good. THey need variety to obtain a range of skills. Age definately affects this. I think ti's ok for an older child to aim in at one game to be proficent, but still needs a varient of activities. Ideal would be active games for physical acitivity and balance and cordination, and mind games such as puzzles or counting. Also need abstract games to build the imagination.
    Anonymous

• totally disagree ,playing is being constructive that is the joy of being a child.my statemet would be
    " we are pushing our kids to grow way to fast,so fast we dont even get to enjoy them anymore"
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh YES! My nephew is one of those kids, he doesn't want to play outside, participate in after school activities, go on family outings or anything. He recently took a fit, when my brother tried to take him to King's Island. He ended up staying at his friends house. I think video games are ok in small amounts but some kids get addicted to them and it takes over their life.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Parents are soo worried about pediphiles, their kids being kidnapped, ect...That they keep their kids at home, happy in front of a wii, or game boy.

Schools also give soo much homework, the kids are busy doing that, not developing friendships with neighbor kids.

Our kids are sadly isolated, which in turn adds to staying home and playing games, which further isolate our children.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2009