Meatballs

I want to make spaghetti and meatballs tonight but I've never made meatballs before. How do I do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• This is how I make them - I take chop meat (about a pound). Put it in a bowl. I add a little bread crumbs, an egg, some frozen chopped spinach (it's a good way to get my kids to eat it) some mozz cheese. I mix it all together. The I put a jar (one large or 2 small) of sauce in a large pot. I make balls out of the meat and put them all in the sauce. I mix it a little, turn the stove on med/low and let it cook about 45 min till done. If it seems too bubbly, turn it down. it's easy and delicious!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• mompam, do you cover the pot?
    Anonymous

• Yes, it will splatter.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My husband has been begging me for meatballs for a few weeks now, and I hate making them. I make mine similar to mompam.

I use a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground pork. Mix in about half a cup of dried bread crumbs, 1 egg, and a splash of milk. I mix 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Add a tsp of salt, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp dried oregano.

I form them into walnut sized balls. Instead of cooking mine in the sauce- I cook them in a 400 degree oven for about 10 mins. Then mix them in the marinara and let simmer till we are ready to eat.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 1:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• ave.maria, i don't have any ground pork, will 2 lbs of ground beef work?
    Anonymous

• Yes, it will work- I like them this way (only beef) but everyone else likes the pork/beef mix so that is what I usually make.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 3:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• by the way- if your store doesn't carry ground pork- get italian style sausage and just cut the casings off- snip the ends and squeeze out the pork. If you do this you may want to skip the oregano.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 3:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• cheap tasty trick: for the bread crumbs,

buy a bag of italian seasoned croutons. they are less than a dollar. run them in your food processor or crush them with a rolling pin in a plastic bag. the bread crumbs are super seasoned!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2009