My friends 2 year old daughter won't stop biting other kids. How can she get her to stop?

Everytime my friend comes over with her two year old and 4 month old daughter, her two year old is always going up to my 20 mo old son a grabbing his hand and biting him. She does it for no reason. My friend has tried everything. She's bite her back, whipped her butt and put her in time out and sat her down to talk to her. But nothing seems to work. My kids were never biters so I can help her. Any suggestions?

MomofCiaraAaron

Asked by MomofCiaraAaron at 12:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she needs to stop biting her back. 2 year olds mimic and biting back will only teach her it's ok to bite! perhaps try a different approach other than physical discipline. "NO we don't bite!", "ouch! that made *so and so* sad! let's hug! hugs make her happy!"...and if she hugs use positive reinforcement.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My niece is the only kid in my family that had a biting problem and it turned out that she has epilepsy and a brain tumor. She eventually out grew the biting, or maybe it had to do with getting on med's after they figured out what her problems were.
    We ended up keeping her away from the other kids, and taught the other kids to run away from her because there really was no way to stop her.
    Anonymous

• Did it just start in the last month or so? Are her two year old molars coming in? Your friend needs to stick with some kind of discipline, (removing her child from playing and sitting for a few minutes and then saying sorry) or whatever she chooses and do it every time, not keep switching, that is confusing for a child. I would also have the child look at the boo boo if she left a mark and really explain that she hurt her friend. She has had boo boos, she knows what it is like to get hurt. Quite a few kids go through biting spells, most just have to out grow it.
    Anonymous

• These comments are helpful.Thanks. I will let her know. I don't know why she does it. We've shown her the marks she's left on my little guy but she's is whinning too much to actually see what she did
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

MomofCiaraAaron

Answer by MomofCiaraAaron at 12:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009