How do you mothers with 3 or more kids do it?

I only have 1, have a full time job and am tired all the time. Are you just super organized? Do you work outside of the home? How do you do it? We are thinking of having another one but im not sure that I wouldn't go nuts. Lol.

Jguevara

Asked by Jguevara at 12:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have three and stay home with them. They are 5, almost 4 and 3 years old, all boys.

I have a dry erase calendar which is color coded...one color for each kid, one for the parents and one for medical (red..stands out very well). Every appointment, every school schedule (8-3 or 9:15-11:45 for example...with the code for the kid), every event we wish to attend is on this calendar.

I have my little systems that work for me...clean one room of the house each day well, at least one load of laundry every day, empty out backpacks as soon as the student is home and sign what I need to sign, running grocery list on a dry erase board on the wall, etc.

My youngest still naps, so I still have quiet time even with the almost 4 year old home. Sometimes I catch a nap, other days I don't. I get up in the mornings before everyone else for my computer and coffee time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Well I have six ages 9,8,6,4,2, 4 months. It is never easy however many kids you have. Wether you have one or 10 they exhaust all your energy that you have. I used to have everything perfectly in order and wouldn't let myself make mistakes, my house always had to be clean. I felt that I wasn't enjoying my children because I put such high expectations on myself. When I learned to let everything else go ( not neglecting everything else, but taking a step back) I started enjoying being a mother and all that it entails. I like to think I'm organized but my kid's help out a lot too. I have a hubby who does about as much house work as I do. You also need time for yourself, that way you don't' get so burnt out. Kid's are a blessing and you do the best you know how to do and your child will know that as well. I think you can handle having two :-) Either way it's a lot of work! Good luck :-) Oh and I'm obviously a stay at home mom!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 12:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh...kids helping out is a must, I think. Even though I only have three! Even my 3 year old has chores...they all have to clear their own places at the table, they all have to pick up toys, put dirty clothes in the laundry, help clean the gerbil cages, get their backpacks ready for school (the two who are attending), etc....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have a 39 month old, an 18 month old, and a baby due next month. I stay at home and sometimes I do lose my mind. I am not organized at all. It's just too darn hard to get organized with 2 toddlers getting everything out and mixed up....they even reorganize their dresser drawers almost daily (what a mess).

I don't say this to be rude at all, but only because you asked, but if you're feeling overwhelmed with motherhood with just having the one child then you aren't ready to add on to your family just yet. Wait until you child gets a little older and you find a comfortable rhythm before you have another baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have 3 and I think it's a little easier to have more then 1 kid. My oldest was an only child until she was 5 1/2 and starting Kindergarten. When you have more then 1, they play with each other and keep each other entertained. Granted you also have to break up a few fights and teach them to share toys and what not, but they're not under your feet while trying to cook dinner because the have each other to play with instead of trying to get your attention.
    I worked outside the home until right before I had my 3rd. I've been a SAHM for 7 years and just became a partner in charge off the office aspect of a transportation company.
    Don't worry, you won't go nuts!
    Anonymous

• I have three. They are all girls, ages 3, 3, and 2. I am a sahm, and no I am not super organized! lol. I just take it one day at a time, and have a great time doing it!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have 3 boys and SO and I both work outside the home. I am nowhere near organized, can't make lists to save my life and am usually washing clothes at 10 pm so we have something to wear the next day! But I have so much fun with my boys, I would rather be a little disorganized then worrying about making sure everything goes accoding to plan, because things change all the time so I just go with the flow.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies, you all gave great answers. From what I hear I guess I don't have to be supermom.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 1:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have 5. 16, 15, 12, 4 and almost 22 months. Actually, it gets WAYYYY EASIER the OLDER your kids get!! My older kids watch the younger two if I need to take a shower, run to the store real quick, etc. They LOVE watching their younger siblings, so please don't think they are 'raising' our younger two. Plus--they DO NOT watch the younger two CONSTANTLY!! Just occasionally. I would say hold off on having another one til your first one is a bit older. And NO I am NOT organized at all!! My kids help pick up the house, they vacuum, empty the trash, etc, etc. It was harder when they were younger!! Good luck to you!!
    Anonymous

• I have 3 girls (aaaaah the hormones lol) they're 8,6 and 3.

I'm not organized either...lol far from it. lol they have chores and duties to be done everyday after school before its play time.

umm...I pretty much just go with the flow and live life as it happens.

I do schedule days for specific chores - friday is laundry day. wednesday is bathroom day, friday is also bedrooms. but I tidy as I go.

and a meal plan. we've got a monthly meal plan set up so I know what's for dinner every night of the week.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009