What can I do 2 help my 6 yo son cope with having 2 run from his abusive father?

It's been 5 yrs of running from my son's father who abused me for 7 yrs. and we r currently in a custody battle, which is coming up in a few days. He's not acting his normal self and I don't know how 2 help him. He's going 2 counsiling but I need some strategies I can use at home. He misses his dad and i'm left outa words 2 say wen he tells me to jus stop this fight n lets go bac home. He misses his toys, clothes, room and home.

AWomensCry4Help

Asked by AWomensCry4Help at 5:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is hard but stay strong. Your son doesnt understand why you are doing this but wen he grows up he will thank you for it and see your strength. It is a pain and there is no shielding the child from it. Just stay loving and supportive. Keep your son busy and happy. Do things he likes doing
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 5:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I think family counseling would be excellent.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• money may be tight but if you can afford it then i'd say get him involved in decorating his new room so he can feel like it's his and it's his new home.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 9:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Oh man. My heart goes out to you and those boys. How do you make them understand without making their dad out to be a bad guy. I guess just explain that dad has some problems and he needs time to work them out. Be sure that they know that he loves them and that this situation was not their fault in any way. Children have a terrrible way of blaming themselves for everything. I am sooo glad that all of you are safe...just keep loving them... and telling them how much they are loved. take care.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2008