What is IEP?

This is probably a stupid question but I really don't know.

ProudMom_5703

Asked by ProudMom_5703 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • Individualized Education Plan usually used for students with special needs.

Anonymous

• Thank you. I should have known that but I just remember it being called special ed when I went to school.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• No, it's not the same as special ed when you were in school. It's much more sophisticated these days.

There are IEP's for a myriad of different problems...learning disabilities (giftedness falls in this category btw...not that it's hard for them to learn, but that they need special classes to benefit them), fine motor skill problems, gross motor skill problems, speech problems...or as in the case of my son, all of the above. There are also IEP's providing assistants for those with physical special needs.
    Anonymous

• I don't think we have this at our school... seems like a really great program for children who need one on one. They sent out a survey asking the parents whether we wanted to keep music, physical education and library and get rid of special ed or keep special ed and get rid of the above mentioned.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Get rid of IEP? I don't think they can legally do that. I may be wrong but I thought IEP's were required, at least one a year for the special needs children anyways. My son is autistic and we are down from doing two a year to one a year.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• They can't get rid of special ed! That's against the law!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It was on a survey... I am trying to remember exactly what they said. Thinking is so hard to do today though.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Ok... it was getting rid of teachers who sit in the class to help a special needs child.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009