My 16 month old daughter is already throwing fits when you take something away from her or when you tell her no. She throws herself down on the floor and screams as loud as she can. Is this going to last all the way through the twos????

KPlunk

Asked by KPlunk at 1:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• only the mother will allow this behavior. you can ignore it and not pay any attention to it, and she will soon stop. try to explain to her why your taking soemthing away rather than just take it away, that might help.
    Anonymous

• Ugh, my 20 month old son started doing that around that age....he still does :[ You just gotta let them get over it.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Hahahahahaha, after the "terrible two's" you get the "miserable three's"! I have one in the twos and two in the threes! No but seriously, it does get better...she is just trying to learn how far she can push you and her boundries
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It won't last through the 2's if you deal with it now. My kids didn't throw themselves down on the floor and scream because I didn't allow them to do it. They got spanked the first time they did it and didn't do it again because they knew they'd get in trouble again. They're far from perfect but they're good kids because they're not allowed to get away with stuff like that.
    Anonymous

• Often times like this are due to the child's inability to communicate like they want. They are also learning boundaries, as stated above!

Anonymous

• It will if you allow it. My grandson is 16 months old and he already knows that he is not allowed to behave like that. The sooner you establish your authority and demand that he respect it, the better off you will be. The best way to do that is with a swat on his leg. Children at his age are very aware that they are able to control mom with their bad behavior. It is up to you to retrain him to know that you will control his bad behavior by inflicting a small amount of pain on his bare skin. It works. It is not abusive. It is abusive to yourself and others to tolerate bad behavior. I promise you that you will not harm his psyche in any way, and you will have a child who is pleasant and enjoyable to be around.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Children should be allowed to get angry. Anger is a normal emotion. How they handle the anger is another story. If she chooses to throw herself on the floor, allow her to. Walk away from her. Give her a chance to calm down. If you are in a public place, take her to the car and calmly talk to her.
    Anonymous

• my daughter has been doing the exact same thing since she was 11 months old. Shes not 15 months and still doing it! Im hoping it doesnt last forever
    falanlee

Answer by falanlee at 3:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• And please don't assault your child. People like to make it sound "pretty" by calling ti spanking, but it's assault.
    Anonymous

• it**
    Anonymous