How to potty train?

Dose anyone have any tips or tricks to help me potty train my daughter?

nickynova

Asked by nickynova at 1:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wait until she starts showing signs of being ready. I tried to early with my twins, and it was miserable for all three of us. So I took some time off and waited until they were ready. They started telling me when they had peed or pooped in their diapers. So I started putting them on the potty every once in a while, and worked it up until they were on the potty almost every 15-20 minutes. After the first time of them actually going in the potty, they got excited and wanted to do it all the time. I also used sticker charts for them...they would get one sticker if they peed, and two if they pooped, and then when they had a certain amount of stickers, they got something. It took me a total of about a month to get them fully trained, and they were 2 1/2 at the time.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I trained both my boys at 2 1/2. They weren't telling me when they had to go but I was ready. I kind of used the three day method. I made it clear that they would not be using diapers anymore. My oldest just got it and only had one or two accidents. My younger son was a little more difficult I used a four day holiday weekend and put him in his undies told him it was time to use the potty. He only used the potty maybe three times the first two days, I cleaned up quite a few messes. But the third day it started to click he had accidents but was improving on the fourth day no accidents! I was very excited. I used m&m's as a reward 1 for going pee and 2 for poop ( although the first couple of times he pooped in the potty I was so excited I gave him a handful). He got the rewards for maybe a week and then we stopped. I am going to do the same thing with my daughter on my christmas furlough.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009