should i get the h1n1 shot for my kids,i have heard some bad things im not sure what to do??

tinabanks

Asked by tinabanks at 1:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• I followed my pediatrician's advice and did not get my daughter vaccinated for H1N1. I did, however, get her the regular flu vaccination.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i only got the regular flu because i don't believe in swine flu
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 1:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• No we are not getting any of the injections.  The nose flu shot is an active form where the shot in the arm is not for the regular flu.  H1N1 the shot concerns me for down the road the "What IF" comes to mind.  Our Son is on the 2nd round of the flu and I have kept him home away from school.  We are pretty sure it is not H1N1.  Both his Physicians want him to have both because he is Type 1 Diabetic.  Vitamins to build the immune system, green tea, lots of love and prayer.

delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 2:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• you need to do some research that have answers but not just from the Medical or gov because they will tell you a bias view. Personally my family only got the flu shot not the h1n1
    mommiecharlie

Answer by mommiecharlie at 2:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• no, i think only the stupid, uninformed types are........ it is EXPERIMENTAL....... is that good enough for your kids? did you know you can still get h1n1 even if you get the vax? did you know getting the regular flu shot makes you more likely to get the h1n1 flu? i agree with mommiecharlie, go do some real reseach and see what you think.... good luck, make a good choice!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I'm 8 months pregnant with a 3 year old and an 18 month old and we all got the vaccine (both seasonal flu and H1N1). We had no side effects at all. My pediatrician highly recommend the H1N1 vaccine for any child under the age of 5 because the virus can be fatal. My OB strongly recommends the vaccine for pregnant women because the virus can be fatal for them as well. The seasonal flu vaccine is mainly about just not getting the flu which is no fun, but the H1N1 is different. Younger, healthy people are dying from this virus because we have no immunity to it at all.

I followed my doctors' advice and got us vaccinated.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I'm sure AmaliaD meant well in the post before mine but she is misinformed. The "research" she is quoting is coming from Google searches and that turns up a lot of wrong information that is produced in blogs, etc.

Check out the CDC and Mayo Clinic's websites for good information.

It is not true that you can get H1N1 if you had the vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine is strain specific and highly effective against the virus. It does, however, take 10 days before the vaccine takes effect. It's also not true at all that getting the seasonal flu vaccine makes you more likely to get the H1N1 virus. Those statistics were contaminated. The seasonal flu vaccine came out long before the H1N1 vaccine did, so it makes sense that a lot of people who had the seasonal vaccine, but not the H1N1 vaccine contracted the H1N1 virus. The flu vaccine did not lead to catching the H1N1 virus. No correlation has been made between the two.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Misinformation, bias information, correct information buried in all of the above. I do my own research on this topic and then make my own decision. One person will say the CDC has all the answers, while another will go completely against it. I do not favor the CDC or related materials, but I do include them in my research. I do NOT vaccinate my child at all. This is my choice, but I do encourage you to do your own research and then go from there. Your gut is better then some experts opinion. Mainstream media provides misinformation daily, as well as truth. Its your job to decide what YOU believe. Thru my studies on flu shots as well as the H1N1 vaccine, Ive decided against it completely. I dont like whats in vaccines, or in some cases how they are made. With that said theres plenty of information out there, but you have to sift thru it to find your answers. Im all for informed decisions, as long as you researched! God Bless!
    mamalyon07

Answer by mamalyon07 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I am 8 months pregnant and got both the H1N1 vaccine and the Seasonal. I can't find either for my son, but I will get him vaccinated when it's available. However, i will NOT allow him to have the nasal mist with a live strain NOR will I allow him to get a vaccine that is from a multi-dose vial, because it contains Thimerosal, Mine was a single dose, pre loaded syringe which does not contain thimerosal.

Saying you don't believe in swine flu, is just plain silly. Children are dying, and the REAL statistics show that an average of 60-80 children die each year of seasonal flu (out of the total 37,000 that die, most elderly), However since September more than 150 children have died from Swine flu, double the ANNUAL seasonal total, since April it's almost 200 children!

Yes, research and make your own decision, but to ignore what can effect anyone is dangerous and maybe deadly.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• One more point. A woman who has a cafemom member on a group I belong to was pregnant with twin boys. She contracted Swine Flu and went into a coma. Her boys were delivered via c-section prematurely and had problems but are okay now.....sadly she never recovered or woke up and died about a week and a half ago. Now her boys will never know their mother.

And i'm sure the parents of all children who have died from swine flu would have given their children the vaccine in a heartbeat had they had the option! It's made exactly the same as the seasonal flu shot, only difference is the strain, and the h1n1 vaccine is supposed to be MORE effective because instead of guessing at the strain like they do with the seasonal they KNOW the strain with H1N1, no guess work.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2009