Do you like your child's teacher?

In general! What was your first impression of the teacher?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My oldest DD teacher seems really new and is very by the book ---no wiggle room---not good when you're dealing with 3rd graders...the communication is good but sometimes it seems rehearsed..

My youngest DD has an awesome teacher...always sending home little game s and stories for the kids to do @ home...I have a lot of fun learning with her and she is really motivated to do the work b/c the teacher presents it all as fun...Communication is great, like talking to a friend I feel like she really cares if my DD does well.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Not a fan of either teacher right now. My son's 2nd Grade teacher seems to overshare with the children, and my 3rd Graders teacher seems a bit rough. I spend a lot of time at school right now.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Good, except I don't think she knows how to teach how to write. So I started doing that.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My first impression was nice.....and fake. Some are like that. Seemed like a lot of the other moms were fake, too.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I LOVED my daughters Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers! They are what teachers are supposed to be!

Her second grade teacher is good. I think I have been spoiled by the first two though...They were just so great!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Both of my daughters have great teachers. But I am learning that the public schools (at least in my area) don't measure up to the standards I feel are appropriate. It's a sad moment for me becuase I have believed in the public schools so much. But the more I volunteer, the more I am there~ I see too much beuracracy. Too much time being spent on the 'slower kids'. My daughter is in the S.O.A.R program but has to be bussed two days a week to another school across town after she has laready rode the bus to her 'home school'. It's almost like the smart kids get punished because the teachers are working with the slower kids. We are moving this summer, so I will try public schools/DOD schools in another locale. After that, I am looking at living on military bases (paying no property taxes) and paying for private schools. Maybe then it will be better.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Too much time being spent on the 'slower kids'

I have noticed this too, they were trying to leave them in the same classes. Finally the second half of last year they have seperate classes and centers for different lagging subjects. It is all through the district, so it takes a while to change the way they do things...Pain in the butt
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yes, I like my son's teacher. My daughter's teacher I have mixed feelings about... she was my son's teacher a couple grades ago and she and my son seemed to have some sort of personality clash. My son has sensory issues and she was not particularly sensitive to that. However my daughter is more 'typical' and does not seem to have any issues with the teacher.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• 1st impression? That she was one of those near retirement going through the motion types. That's changed as the year has gone on, though she is still more standoffish than I'd like. Compared to last year's teacher she just seems very cold. She's not the type to seem enthusiastic about things, if that makes sense?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Yes, mostly. I like my son's teacher, she is really nice and has been teaching for a while. She keeps control of her classroom and praises his work and efforts. He's only in first grade, but has started reading more complex books due to her smaller reading groups that she works with every day. Most of the parents seem to give their kids support at home, so the class isn't slowed down by kids that aren't as lucky in that area.

My daughter's teacher is a preschool teacher and I don't think she has a teaching degree. It's run out of a church. She often misspells things on her notes home and on her newsletters. I don't make a big deal about it since she seems capable of handling the basics with a 4 year old. If I were paying more and they claimed a strict curriculum I would probably make a big deal about it. My daughter really likes her though and seems to be learning what she needs to know at this age.

Anonymous