Should I get a new car seat?

I am expecting a new baby at the end of January. I have an infant car seat that I have used with my 2 previous children that will "expire" in April (based on the manufacture date + 5 years). My other children out grew it by the time they were 6 months old. If my new baby does the same, it will be out grown at the end of June.

Do you think that I need to buy a new car seat for this short time period, or at least not use the infant seat (move everyone up in car seats)?

The infant seat has not been in any accidents, is not worn in any way, and looks almost new still (the sun shade is slightly faded).

rewoif

Asked by rewoif at 1:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just move up to a convertible seat sooner. I would ditch it though in April if that is when it expires. Is 5 years what it says on your seat? Many expire after 6 years.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would use the car seat.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i personally get a new one for each child
    Anonymous

• As long as it's been well cared for, I'd use it, but move to a convertible before April.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i also thought they lasted 6 years. if it does expire in april, i agree, just move up to the next seat then. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i say just get a convertible one/
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I just used a convertible carseat from the very beginning...didn't bother with the carrier.
    Anonymous

• MOST infant seats last 6 years...what brand do you have? I know Baby trend, graco and Chicco last 6 years from date of manufacture. If its 6 years then use the seat, if not I would NOT use it past the date.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009