What to do about Our Great Dane

Hey Everyone. I've got 2 girls ages 2 and 3. Lastyear a friend at my husbands work was giving away free puppies that were half great dane and half Austrian Ridgeback. Anyway on impulse my hubby brought one home. He was so stinking cute I agreed to keep him. But now he's SOOO stinking big. Which isn't the issue. But he gets so excited when the kids go outside that he runs and knocks them down and stuff sometimes. You can tell he dosn't mean to. But still, I don't want him knocking my kids over. BUT my 3 year old daughter Loves him so much. She dosn't care of he occasionally knocks her over. We have talked to her several times about letting Logan go back to live with his mommy and she got very upset. Im not sure how to approach the situation. I want to but them outside toys like swings sets etc, but Im afraid he's just gonna chew everything up ! And he DIGS like nobodies Business lol. But he's suck a sweet dog ! I would miss him

TiffBryan

Asked by TiffBryan at 1:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pets

• How about Obedience Training before you give up on him you can either do it yourself(books/or online) or see if there is a trainer locally who can help you out. He sounds like a neat combination of breeds btw.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• yeah i agree wiith pp and i'm not being mean but you knew he was going to get big he's a great dane after all
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• He sounds like my Flat-coat retriever mix. My dog is such a happy go lucky dog and he does not realize how big he is,granted he is probably not as big as yours but he is 80 pounds and can easily knock a a kid over. The best thing you can do is get him into a an obedience class and give him an outlet, whether it is spending the day at a doggie daycare to burn energy, getting him in an agility or flyball class or taking him running. I use my bike to run my dog and we do this everyday at least but try to get out mulitiple times. Some of this is puppy stuf and he should outgrow it but he also needs to know his place in the pack.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have a great dane mix and he actually knocked my then 1 year old over and chipped her 2 front teeth. He's older now and calmer. He is actually an indoor dog. He thinks he's a lap dog. Obedience training is maybe a good option. More exercise too. I'm sure he's just excited about the kids wanting to play. This is why so many great danes end up in rescue groups because people just don't figure out how big and powerful they become. They truely are the most loving animal. IMO. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I would definitely try obedience training. Your kids are already attached to him and it's not setting a good example to just get "rid" of him now. As you said, he is a good dog, but he just needs to learn some manners.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• same, i have a pit-bull named Dukie (duke-E) and Asia my daughter doesnt even care when he knocks her over either. i tried to get rid of him, but shes just too attached to him. he follows her everywhere around the house- i think its cute. last christmas, i dressed Asia up in a santa jacket and Dukie was the reindeer lol. he NEVER bites her or scratches her either. hes never leaving our household lol (:
    -for your problem, id try obedience training, and at the VERY last resort i seperate the dog from the kids
    IluvAsialots4

Answer by IluvAsialots4 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2009