I am 34 wks. When do they measure the baby to see it's weight etc??

I havent had an ultra sound in a long time(since about 22 weeks) but my sister in law said her dr. measured the baby sometime in the last couple months to see the babys growth and weight. Do all dr's do this? I mean, I hear women say they went to the dr and he said they were further along than they thought.

numomy87

Asked by numomy87 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Around here, they give you one or two u/s (one at around 20 weeks for anatomy and possibly one early on for dating if you're not sure). The 20 wk one is the last one you get unless they have specific concerns or there is a problem.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I just wanted to add that I'm sure different docs/midwives do things differently.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• with my first they didn't tell me the weight... just estimated based on feeling my uterus from the outside... they were way off though... they predicted 6 lbs and he was 9 lbs. lol
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• you will definitely have to ask your doctor or midwife because every practice is different. where i went they did one routinely mid-pregnancy and that's it. when they estimate weight with an ultrasound, though, they can be off by a couple of pounds or more. i did end up having a late pregnancy ultrasound because my midwife all of a sudden thought i might have twins from palpating my belly. JUST ONE though. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• There's only one way to know the weight of your baby. To put him on a scale. Those u/s measurements can be off by 2 pounds on either side.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• they should be checking your fundal height at every visit
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Normally they do check you again. Mine did, I had to beg him, but he gave me another sonogram, a lot of times it depends on the doctor.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It really depends on the office you go to. Neither the OB I saw with my son or the CNM I saw with my daughter did late term U/S's for weight. I had two in the last week I was pregnant with my daughter but both of those were strictly for assessing fetal health. My CNM didn't make any judgement about weight at all. Didn't have any late term U/S's with my son at all.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only way to know how much your baby will weigh is to put baby on a scale after s/he is born! A late term U/S can be wrong about your EDD by as much as 10 days and off on weight prediction by as much as two pounds either direction.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had 3 u/s and not one of them was to check the babies weight. They had concerns about my amniotic fluid. Anyway they measured my uterus at every appt I had after that first u/s. My doc was funny about it he said he could tell me a weight. Then he said between 8 and 12 lbs. Well he was right haha my DS had a birth weight of 10 lbs 1 oz
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Weight check u/s are not routine. If your uterus measures more than 3 weeks off in either direction then your OB/midwife should order an u/s. Besides that... you wont know anything til he/she is born
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009