Is it normal for 16 month olds to be so freaking STUBBORN???

My 16 month old used to help pick up her toys with no problem. She could also follow simple directions. But for the past couple of weeks, she's been acting like she doesn't understand what I'm saying. If I say, "Victoria, put your toy away", she gives me a blank stare and walks away. If I ask her to put her pajamas in the laundry hamper (which she used to do with no problem), she carries the pj's halfway to the hamper, then drops them and goes after a toy. I'm starting to get extremely frustrated, and I am finding myself yelling more than usual (and I almost NEVER raise my voice). I am feeling angry and walking away from her in anger, which she picks up on immediately.

What do I do? I want her to follow my instructions, but I don't want to have to raise my voice either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes,they can be stubborn, but they can also have SO many other things on their little minds it's unbelievable. When she drops a toy instead of taking the pjs to the hamper, that's just the little child in her coming out. It's like, okay mom asked me to do this, oh A TOY... and that's it for the pjs getting to the hamper. If you want to get her engaged in picking up and helping you, make a game of it. Tell he that you guys are ganna race to see who can pick up the clothes the fastest or see who can make all the clothes into the hamper from across the room. Then have a toy race, to see who can pick up the most toys and when she wins she gets something extra special... extra time w/mom at night reading or a new bath toy or something you choose to be appropriate, ya know? Good Luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• You just have to realize she is only 16 mths. Let her be toddler, shes going to test your boundries and get sidetracked. When she drops her clothes, take her back and redirect her. She'll learn, just be patient. Good luck
    Anonymous

• with my 17 month old, i will walk with her have her pick it up and walk to the hamper with it and i say thank you after words.there just seeing bondries and how far they can get away with things
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• This is what is meant by the terrible two's Congratulations You have a smart one! She is starting early. This is when it really pays to reward good behavior. If you mainly punish bad behavior you will be stressed out all the time.
    Anonymous