Another swine flu question?

Okay, have you or someone in your immediately family had it? what were your symptoms? Did you have the vaccine or get tamiflu? do you know of anyone that died from it and if they had other medical problems?? Only share info that your comfortable with of course. THANKS!!

kstn415

Asked by kstn415 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• I just posted a similar question... my son just got a probable case last night... see the question: h1n1, maybe someone posts on there too.
    Anonymous

• My best friend and her 4 year son are now recovering from confirmed swine flu. The doctor knew what it was right away, ran the test because it's going around their school district (she's a teacher). They got the boy on Tamiflu within 12 hours of the first symptoms and got her on Tamiflu withing 24 hours of onset.

The 4 year old's symptoms were fever hovering around 102, lethargy, and not acting like himself at all. Since swine flu was going around their school, my friend took him to the doctor with these symptoms, but the boy developed the diarrhea and vomiting on the drive home. Thanks to the Tamiflu his fever broke and symptoms subsided in just 3 days. My friend felt sore all over like she had worked out too hard. Then the next day she said she had a "weird" feeling and just didn't feel right. Later that night she developed a fever and nausea. She went to the doctor the next morning. Neither of them had the vaccine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I'm 8 months pregnant and have a 3 year old and an 18 month old. We all got the H1N1 vaccine a week ago and none of us had any side effects at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.

The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• rkoloms, and it's such a horrible drug that the doctors still use it for the flu! Geez.

One of my sons had a suspected case of the swine flu. Darn thing is, if we could have gotten his vaccine a couple weeks sooner, he may not have had it....or at least not so bad. He was lethargic, fever up to 103 which lasted about 2 1/2 days, coughing, headache and he did vomit once. (he had his shot on Friday and was sick on Monday. He caught it at school,half of his class including the teacher was out the same week)
    Anonymous