For those who have/had gestational diabetes or regular diabetes

I just found out I'm pregnant again and I had gestational diabetes with my last 3 pregnancies, so I'm going to go ahead and start the "diet" now just to keep my sugars in check. My only problem was in the mornings - I had a really hard time finding breakfast foods that were low in carbs. Even my regular cereals (Special K or GoLean Crunch) are really high in carbs and when you add in milk, it's too much. Any ideas for low carb breakfasts?

Asked by missanc at 2:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Health

• I'm a type 2 diabetic and I'm 8 months pregnant with a little girl, this is my second healthy pregnancy since being diagnosed. I also have a 5 year old.

I know eggs can get boring, but most mornings I have an egg or two, 2 sausage links and a piece of toast or 6-8 tater tots (love those darn things)! I can't handle the lower sugar oatmeals, I get too high, but some of the cereal I can handle is Life and South Beach Cereals, though I always try to have some protein as well to balance it out.

I love rice cakes and I've been getting the light Caramel ones and putting peanut butter on them, sometimes I sprinkle some raisins on them or a few banana slices (I buy those mini bananas for myself and eat them when they are still slightly green and not too ripe...the sugar content is higher the more ripe it is)

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Hi, I am a Mom of a Type 1 Diabetic child. He was diagnoised 4 years ago and I have learned a lot on this road. He is 9 years old and his blood sugars are so much better when he eliminates carbs. Proteins are his friend.   There are Tiger's Milk bars that are better on the blood sugars as you don't get the high and then the crash where as cereal you are getting the rise in your blood sugars and then the crash after.  Check the diabetic sites and one of them is DLife.  Here is the Peanut Butter Tiger's Milk Bar count - Energy Packed snack 18g for a net wt 35 G bar the small one.  13g sugar, which does not spike his blood sugars.  Before his blood sugars are checked and then two hours later checking his blood sugars remain steady.  Also, hummus is wonderful on the blood sugar and he will have this with some 9 grain crackers from Trader Joes.  Blessings!  Wish you and your baby the best of health.   
    delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 2:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Eggs
    Oatmeal is good; it is a whole grain (steel cut is best)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I'll make veggies omlets a lot too, sometimes I buy those pre-cooked chicken strips for salads and such and add some of those to the omelet too. If you want to make a breakfast burrito there are a lot of low-carb wraps and tortillas that are decent in flavor, though some are still like cardboard.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Veggie omelets with cheese, cottage cheese with a handful of All bran sprinkled on and about 1/4 to 1/3 c. blueberries, cooked barley (lower on the glycemic index than oatmeal).
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• thank you - these are great ideas and will be very helpful!

Answer by missanc at 7:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009