For those who have/had gestational diabetes or regular diabetes

I just found out I'm pregnant again and I had gestational diabetes with my last 3 pregnancies, so I'm going to go ahead and start the "diet" now just to keep my sugars in check. My only problem was in the mornings - I had a really hard time finding breakfast foods that were low in carbs. Even my regular cereals (Special K or GoLean Crunch) are really high in carbs and when you add in milk, it's too much. Any ideas for low carb breakfasts?

Asked by missanc at 2:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Very smart to start thinking about your diet now! You may be able to avoid GD by eating well straight from the start.
    Do you know about using the glycemic index to plan your meals? It ranks carbs from high to low based on their relative speed of digestion compared to straight sugar. It's been very helpful to me during pregnancy to manage low blood sugar problems (I digest sugar/carbs too fast and need to take in lots of protein/ complex carbs to manage it). Also, have you heard of the Brewer Diet? It's a meal plan for pregnancy that's very high in protein, low in carbs, and it helps women manage blood sugar and blood pressure problems.
    How about starting with a protein breakfast? Have a couple eggs and a glass of milk. Not very exciting but it would get you started.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I work in a group home and we have a few diabetic residents. my boss buys them sugar free ceral. She gets like sugar free fruit loops and frosted flakes. You can also try just eating protien for breakfast.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If you knew the carbs in whole, rolled grains (easy to google that information), you could put together your own granola-type cereal with grain, nuts, and seeds. That would only take an hour or two on a weekend and last a week or more, depending on how big of a batch you made. I don't even bake my granola. I mix the grains and nuts together and keep them in a jar, unbaked. The night before, I soak a serving in a similar amount of milk or water. By morning, it's a soft, oatmeal-type breakfast cereal that's high in protein, low in carbs, and very filling.

Then again, who says you need "breakfast food." :-) Sometimes, I just like to roll up some cooked chicken and sliced cheese in a big leaf of lettuce.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2009