My toddler will not sleep.

I have tired everything and my son will not sleep. He will go to sleep at night but will get up three or four times a night. I have tired letting him cry it out and everything. Could he be having bad dreams.? I have kept a light on, played music and everything. Please give me some suggestions. He only takes about an hour nap during the day. What do I do? When he gets up at night it is like he is mad or something is hurting. Most of the time his eyes will be shut the whole time.

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I went thru the same issues with my daughter. I jus let her cry. I know it hurts you to let your baby cry, disturbs you from getting a good nites rest even but i swear eventually they will sooth themselves. I use to turn on some rythem and blues for my child while she screamed her head off. Eventually she learned to tune into the music to sooth her and hit didnt hurt that i had a fleece blanket with a stuffed animal in the crib with her. All of those things are soothing to children. You might wanna also try giving your child something warm like oatmeal or warm milk before you lay him down and tell him good nite so he starts to understand the ritual. I have done all of those things with my daughter and she now has no problem going to sleep by herself and she sleeps a full 10 hrs a nite.
    numbawunmom

Answer by numbawunmom at 10:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Probably teething, give him some orajel when he wakes the first time, and also if he uses a paci he may be wanting it. My daughter is 13 mos and does the same thing.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My DD will be 3 in January and has NEVER slept through the night !! Seriously ! She currently doesn't nap which she NEEDS naps still doesn't crash till 11pm we have tried EVERYTHING to get her to sleep eariler, and wakes up around 2-3 am and then wakes up around 7am for the day.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would talk to your Dr. about this. Some kids can have large adnoids, something in the back of the throat, that can cause bad dreams, maybe that's a reason behind him waking up all the time. Lord only knows why that is! lol I knew someone who dealt with that for a long time and when her son was around 3 or 4 he had surgery to remove the adnoids and he was fine after that. Hope this helps!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009