Pacifier Use

My 7 week old little girl just decided two days ago that using a pacifier may be a good idea. She is a breatfed baby and is now drinking out of a bottle as well. using a pacifier sure makes trips in the car easier and I was just wondering if it was an ok idea to let her have the paci. or should I just take it back now before she becomes dependent on it???

MrsGraves09

Asked by MrsGraves09 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I won't use them personally... it's better for your milk supply and longevity of your breastfeeding relationship for her to get her comfort at the breast. But, if you want to use it for a short period of time in the car.. or something like that, it's really up to you.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It's up to you. you can always break her from it later...sometimes peace of mind is more important than conforming to what paci-nazis would say
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i swore i'd never give my little boy a paci but since he was circumsized and they brought him to me with one in his mouth, he's kinda "dependant" on it to fall asleep so he gets one
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If it makes things easier for you and You don't have a problem with it, then have your LO use it. Don't worry about what others think.(good bad or indifferent) I never had an issue with my guys using pacifiers. My boys loved theirs and when I deemed it necessary we got rid of em. Some people hate em and never want em, some get rid of em early, but I let mine hang on to theirs for a while... 3yrs old. OMG, horrible mom alert. But anyway, it was way easy to get rid of em and it was my choice, just as it is yours. I just figure if it helps why not use it, ya know?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• They can come in handy, my daughter can't sleep without her's, but she's 13 mos and I'm going to have her off the paci before she's 2.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• well it's totally up to you. some say they would never use them. i thought i wouldn't but did because my son wanted to be at the breast 24/7. he would be done eating but still wanted to have the nipple in his mouth but i wanted to bathe, clean, eat, etc :) if she does just fine without one, go ahead and do without, but if it really really helps A LOT, then don't stress about it. that's just my opinion.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I gave one to my son!! I told myself I'd take it away when he was one...well that didn't happen, and a couple months later he weaned himself! He's 20 months old now and hasn't used one in a few months. One day he just decided he didn't need them anymore. I loved the nuk. He was colic, and it helped him fall asleep and soothed him when he was crabby. Plus, baby's look cute with nuks ;) Do whatever you feel is right for you and your baby. None of us can tell you that.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 3:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Use it. Just take it away when you know she doesn't need it.

We limited the use of pacifiers to sleeping, and the car. (just an idea)
    Anonymous

• We use paci's for naptime, bedtime and car rides! Oh and after shots at the Dr office. :(
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I would say use it. Pacifiers are proven to reduce the risk of SIDS and they sure do make parenting a little easier. Just take it away when she is older.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2009