Asked by mamanovak3 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he doesn't know his leter sounds then start there. A good DVD is the Leapfrog Talking Letter Factory. It teaches the kids the letter sounds in really fun ways. After that is Leapfrog Talking Words Factory. It teaches kids things like vowels and what they're for and shows them how to put words together. It also shows them blends and other combinations of sounds.

Then, buy Bob Books. They're a great series of books that really helps kids to learn to read. They start off really simple and each one gets progressively harder. The first book, for instance, is basically all 3 letter words. Sentences are something like "Mat sat. Sam sat. Sam sat on Mat."

Another good way to teach kids to read is through the book Reading Reflex. I forget who it's by. I found it in the homeschooling section of Borders Books. It's a very interesting way to teach kids to read. My son had fun with it.

There are a lot of other things you can use. But

Answer by amethystrse at 6:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You can usually get the hooked on phonic's books and video's at your local library.

Answer by vbruno at 6:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• my daughter is three and we're working on what sound the letter makes for now. she already can identify them all, but isn't sure what B "buh" is all about. then when they can do that start teaching 3 letter words (cat, mom, dog, car, sat, etc)

Answer by Ambreelulu at 9:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Read to them...everyday. Pick simple picture books with only a few words and point to the words as you read. My kids love Dr. Suess.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Dr. Seuss Books - When I read them to my girls I place my finger to each word I read, and now they are recognizing those words in other places outside of the books.

Answer by Christydawn at 11:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• start reading to him and ask him to repeat some of the words

Answer by fishersmom06 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• there is a website that I got from on of the moms in my group its called it's very good with helping kids learn. My boys love it.. I hope this helps

Answer by Princessstar024 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Start with phonemic awareness exercises. The National Reading Panel, part of the federal government's respected National Institutes of Health, identifies 5 parts to reading: phonemic awareness, FOLLOWED BY phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Phonemic awareness comes before phonics. Phonemic awareness teaches how sounds work. Phonics attaches sounds to letters. Phonemic awareness is a very important pre-reading skill.

Answer by EveryoneReading at 8:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Completing my last response: Check out from your library or buy from your bookstore a spiral-bound book called "Phonemic Awareness in Young Children" by Dr. Marilyn Jager, Dr. Barbara Foorman, and others. It's an easy-to-follow guide for teachers and parents to teach phonemic awareness. The children think they are playing games but you know you are preparing them to be successful readers.

Answer by EveryoneReading at 8:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2008