My 10 month old son has just started expressing his dislikes to me by hitting or slapping my face... what do I do other than say "no" or "gentle".

crisy

Asked by crisy at 2:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He doesn't understand the concept of time out just yet, developmentally the only thing he can understand is no. If he does it tell him no, he does it again, put him in the floor or walk away from him, that will send the message if I hit mommy she will tell me no, if I do it again she walks away. be consistent and be very patience, things will get better.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If he is hitting because he is mad, then you tell him "No, not nice" as you take his hand away from your face then put him down so he understands you didn't like it. You have to tell him, "No" or something like it so that he will get the idea that it is not a desireable action. You could also say, "No hit" or "We don't hit" or " Don't hit mommy" but at his age, the least amount of words makes a bigger impact. Then when you pick him up next time, you can show him how to be gentle by taking his little hand and placing it on your face carefully and saying "Be nice."
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Mommy 2 boyz said it!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I agree with Mommy2boyz too. Very good advice!
    Anonymous