How to fix splintering wood on a crib..

My crib is starting to splinter out. It's getting bad because if you rub your hand on it there is a good chance you will get a splinter. It's my son's old crib and I'm pregnant with baby #2 I was going to let her use it but not if I can't fix the problem. Do you ladies know how to fix it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would get a new one as this is a sign of weakness of the wood
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't. I'm all for second-hand use, but not if there are splinters. If you fix it in one place, it could happen in another. The baby will be alone in there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• SAND PAPER!!!!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It depends if the splinters are superficial or if they are a sign of a structural problem with the bed. If they are just superficial then use some sand paper, but if they are really big structural issues, then just get a new one.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I know you're trying to reuse and save money...believe me I know. I'm pregnant with baby #3. I have a 3 year old, an 18 month old, and a new baby arriving in a month. I stay at home, so we're on a tight budget. But, if I were you I'd toss that old crib. You can buy a new, safe crib at a very reasonable price at Walmart.com. I just bought a portable crib from Walmart for our new baby to replace a bassinet that was no longer safe.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Check and see if there's a recall on the crib! If they used poor-quality wood there may be. The model number is somewhere on the underside, and you can look it up online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Wood filler. Go to your local hardware store and ask. It should come in colors or you it is stainable. It will fill in the spot and you should be able to sand it.
    Be safe with your crib like others suggested.
    Take a pic of it on your phone and show it to the salesperson at your lowes or home depot.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• cover it with clear tape for the meantime.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2009