How do I get my son to eat more or try different foods?

My son is going to be three in Dec and I have the hardest time getting him to eat food sometimes or even try new ones. I don't think he is getting know nutrition. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MarieYC

Asked by MarieYC at 3:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try giving him something like ranch or ketchup to dip his foods in. also i put at least 3 different foods on my lil ones plate.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Treat it like you did when they first were trying solid foods. Babies didn't like it the first time you gave it to them and children can be the same way. Try giving it to him 3+ times and eventually he may like it. If nutrition is an issue you should take a firm approach and ONLY offer healthy nutritious food. Eventually he'll be hungry and will eat it. I know it feels mean, but it will be better for your child to get good nutrients.
    My daughter likes fries so I try to give her sweet potato fries. Reinvent ways of cooking different foods. If your kid likes cheese...put cheese on whatever to get them to eat it but eventually he needs to get used to eating it without fatty, sodium filled condiments. good luck mama!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Oh and some of my daughters favorite foods are the sweet stuff that taste like candy (though she's never had candy). Cut up grapes, gala apples, bananas dipped in sugar free chocolate pudding, ants on a log (celery w/peanut butter & raisans), mini pizzas made out of whole wheat english muffins, tomato sauce, and topped with veggies and cheese. You can totally give him nutritious foods that will appeal to him. But these healthy foods should be apart of your every day meals with yourself and family too. I'm not big on making special meals for kids...snacks yes, but not meals. This forces me to cook healthy anyway. ;-)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Don't force him, that will just turn him off to trying new foods.
    Anonymous

• do you eat it too?

lead by example and make mealtime an adventure.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Keep Offering Different Things To Your Son and try dips and eventually they will try it. Trust me My DS is(4 1/2) and has just started eating "adult" chicken and Steak and even fish. It takes time but they will get there.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I know Jerry Senfield wife have a book where she makes all kind of fun stuff for kids and they even had kids try them which where vegetables and all kind of healthy foods that most kids would consider yucky so check your local Libruary to see if they have this book. are book store to purchase it sorry I forgot her name[sigh] but I do know its the Actor Jerry Seinfield wife Lol.
    I am going to purchase this book myself..Good Luck..
    DIAMONDS674

Answer by DIAMONDS674 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2009