What do you think of the new law coming about from the government giving 500 dollars to every baby thats born saving account?

I thought it was a good idea but what if more people decide to have more children just for those 500 do you think thats possible? I have enough with one child and dont want anymore kids ever again..but some people have them like if theres no pain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• link?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I haven't heard of this at all. What's your source?
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 3:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• great- how much is this "free" money going to cost us?
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/juniors-first-paycheck-500-dollars-at-birth.aspx
    Anonymous

• ave-maria...Its going to cost you stretchmarks, gestational diabetes, hemmorroids, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight gain, everything a child brings during pregnancy and after!
    Anonymous

• I've heard about this. It's a feel-good law that will accomplish pretty much nothing. $500, even invested, won't pay for a single semester of college, much less a down payment on a house. Kids who are determined to go to college will go without it. The others will blow it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I think it is a good idea; perhaps if the parents can't access the money since it is for the baby's future (retirement, first home or education). I think it's great actually; the plan would set good money saving habits for the child as they get older too since they can add to the acct over time.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• idiotic.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• What's the catch? Are we taxed on it? What strings come along with it?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• There are restrictions on spending the money and the child does it after 18yrs old. $500 isn't a whole lot but it's a start and gives a more positive outlook to some than zero dollars.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009