Aren't they getting a little ahead of themselves?

Our mortgage company sent us a letter by courier yesterday. The letter stated that it appears that we might be having trouble paying our mortgage and we need to call them immediately. So we tried calling the number provided only to find that it is just the basic 800 number, we aren't connected to a certain person. The only thing that really bothered me is that we aren't behind in out mortgage. Yes, it has been paid late a few times, but as of right now we are up to date in our payments. Has anybody else seen anything like this? Does it seem that the mortgage company might be "jumping the gun"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you certain that the letter was really from your mortgage company and not a scam?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Sounds like a scam! I have received papers from places pretending to be my mortgage company offering to refinance our mortgage. But it isn't from my mortgage company and I don't need to refinance. I would just shred that paper up, don't call them again because you might get sucked into something. If you aren't behind on your payments, then you have nothing to worry about.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• OP here--
    Thanks for your answers. I was finally able to get in touch with the company through another number. They did send the letter, but just because our payment last month was late and they are trying to get ahead of things. Apparently this company sent out about 500,000 of these letters in the past few months. I appreciate that they are trying to be proactive, but it was a little irritating.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't take it into offence after all they are just trying to make sure you aren't having troubles like so many are.  Trying to communicate is a good thing. It's all automatic anyway in their  computer system on who's late.   

Anonymous

• this reminds me of computerized calls i will get from credit card companies talking about my current credit card. yeah i don't have one. hahahaa. I think your mortgage company sent that message out to everyone who has a mortgage with them.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 7:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009