Why do you think some people hate kids so much?

I was reading about the Southwest incident (mom and toddler were kicked off plane) and in many of the articles, tons of readers commented on how annoying and pesky children are. I have personally known several people who have said they refuse to have any kids because they are annoying and the world is 'overpopulated' (which is no longer the case, according to the UN). Recently, a blog that I love had an article calling children 'vomit factories' and a 'waste of time.' Why do some people hate children so much? My husband's theory is that these people have deeply rooted feelings of inadequacy or self-esteem issues.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Hmm...I'm not a big fan of kids that aren't my own. Alot of kids are spoiled and don't listen because their parents don't discipline. They take patience and time as well which is something most of us are just to selfish to give to anyone unless it benefits us personally. We are idiots for thinking kids are some other life form when we were all once kids, lol. Your husband is probably right in some cases, but not all.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I just don't understand it actually, I don't see how someone can hate innocent kids soooo much, they are precious, and adorable, if they act up most the time they are just being a kid, some are out of control though. I think people who hate kids wish they were still kids!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I really don't know... I'm not always fond of children that aren't my own. I've always said people who hate kids obviously don't remember being one, they forget that they were once that crying child in the store, or the plane. At least we know they won't be having any- which is good.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Simple.
    They had crappy parents, or a crappy childhood, and severe repressed memories - that make them associate children with bad feelings.

It go's against nature to dislike children.
    We are animals made to breed - if you have no interest in that, then essentially, you are broken (and I mean that in a completely non offensive way - although I understand offense could be taken from it.)

Anonymous

• i dont like other ppls children either. just my own.
    Anonymous

• I think many of the people who dislike children are self-centered and/or selfish. They don't want to share their time or money or the attention of others with anyone else. They do not want to be inconvenienced or uncomfortable or embarrassed. There is no doubt that pregnancy, childbirth and raising children does all three in spades. They see life as a "zero-sum" game. They think the more people there are, the less they will have. These people would be terrible or at least indifferent parents, and it's a good thing if they recognize this and do not reproduce.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I do not like kids either, that are not my own. Mostly because the parents of those kids did not teach them to act right in public. I do not even allow kids over at my house, execpt my grandkids.

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Gosh, I feel bad for saying this, but I really wasn't fond of children as a young person (in my teens and 20's)... I would get very anxious if I went out to a resturant and had to listen to kids screaming and crying. I would just leave or ask to be moved. I wasn't interested in being around any children, no matter who's they were. I can't explain why I felt that way. As I got older, the momma drive kicked in and I began to see children in a totally different way. Now I absolutely adore my DD and the 2 tots I babysit. They are my life! I can empathize w/ the ppl on the plane... For some, flying is an already stressful and anxiety filled experience, so to have a child screaming and screaming would be difficult. I've flown with my DD several times as an infant and toddler and it was not easy. But I made sure she had plenty to do and plenty to snack on to keep her content.
    Anonymous

• I can understand not liking bratty kids but to say "I hate all kids" sounds wrong and makes me think that person had a horrible childhood or is just self centered and only thinks of themselves. They forget they were once, "vomit factories" and "wastes of time."
    Anonymous

• The lack of maturity can often be a reason for disliking children is my opinion...
    Anonymous