To all you homeschooling moms out there.................

This is my first year homeschooling. I have a 6 year old and we are finishing up the kindergarten curriculum and she still doesn't know what the coins are and the value of them. Of course she knows the penny because of the color but she just can't seem to remember the rest. Do you have any good tips for me???

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• do you have a scanner?

what I did was take two of each coin and lay them on the scanner, heads down, tails down. I labled the result with both the name of the coin (my son could read by then) and the value in numbers.
    I put this "poster" on his wall at eye level.

once a day, I would quiz him by having him put stick note labels of both the name and value on the right coin, and any he could properly identify I let him keep.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• wow. my 4 yr old knows. maybe you should put her back into regular school.
    Anonymous

• That anon answer was just rude.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They go over this concept several times. My DD was in a traditional school until this year and she's 10. She knows the value of all the coins, but the thing is when she's counting she has a hard time "switching over".

Try this: Let her grab a bunch of toys, books, games, whatever, and let her have a store and everyone in the family can come buy things from her. The real life practice might help.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• It takes time and a lot of practice. Maybe buy some play money and let her "shop" in your kitchen, you are the cashier and you'd tell her something like, "an apple is 10 cents." She'd have to find the coin that's worth 10 cents, etc. Make it a game!

Some kids learn math quickly but not grammar or writing, some learn reading quickly but don't catch on to math. Every child is different and learns differently. That's what's great about homeschooling: you can gear your lessons toward the child's weakness, unlike regular school where she'd be left behind to flounder along.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• My oldest (who was in public school until 5th grade) had a hard time until about 2nd grade. But my daughter seemed to "get it" better when I took away the paper coins that come with the curriculum and just gave her the real coins to use. She didn't completely remember them until later in 1st grade, though. I'd recommend just giving her the real coins and lots of time to practice with them
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 4:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do not listen to the first poster, that's so rude and uncalled for.

All children learn different things at different paces. My daughter is 6, in 1st grade (homeschooling this year for the first time as well) but she is in 2nd grade reading. However, she still struggles a little with math. Each kid has their strong suits! Just focus on that a little more but don't make it a chore for her. Keep schooling fun and interesting.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• anonymous rude troll, climb back under your bridge, why don't you?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• oh, and I should add that we always used real coins (and the photocopy of them) because I never found either worksheets with drawings or plastic "play" coins that I felt were realistic enough for teaching purposes.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• call it rude if you like. unless you are licensed to teach by the state board of education, put her back into school. if you do this now, you can avoid the irreparable damage you will cause her. 

you have not the first clue what you're talking about. who opened the troll cage today? 

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i have every clue, and every right to judge.

homeschooling produces intelligent, well informed individuals about 30% of the time. it does not produce well adjusted, socially adept, competent participants in society. it causes damage to an individual on a scale that is immeasurable, and irrefutable. controlled social environments (ie Church, Homeschooling Groups, Sports) do not *repeat* do not, provide an individual with the social exposure necessary to learn to navigate without the "guidance of the parental source... for all intents and purposes, home schooled children are disabled. it takes years, and much determination to overcome those disabilities. it is permanent damage. it should be illegal, and hopefully within my life time, will be. i would die in peace. *disclaimer* this was written by a home schooled individual. i have EVERY RIGHT.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2009