Im scared...

This is the deal, when I had my son he couldn't eat for the first ten hrs cuz he swallowed some fluid and couldn't catch his breath. After I fed him (breast milk,) he would go naturally like a normal baby. Every feeding. Once we came home the times he went would spread out further and further. He was born august 10th, and now he hasn't gone poop in almost two weeks. The week before was the same, the times spread further and further. Doctors haven't been much help. Has anyone had this same problem or know what could cause it? He has horrible smelly gas and constantly needs burping. He constantly farts too. HELP PLEASE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my baby didnt poop for 5 days, i gave her gas drops, then literaly the next feeding, she pooped, its like giving a child prune juice.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i have a gassy baby too and he was born august 11th, he dosen't poop every day but hasn't gone that long w/o pooping, what are you feeding him? formula or breast milk? what kind of formula if that's what you're using?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• If he's breastfed, the pooping thing is normal. I am on my 3rd BF'd baby, and after a certain point, they only poop once in a while until they start solids. If he's not peeing, THEN I would worry. As far as gas goes, some babies are just gassy. You might try some gripe water, or Hyland's Colic tablets help with gas too. Good luck and don't stress to much. If he's gaining weight and otherwise healthy, I would think he's fine. :)
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 4:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Try a little pear juice mixed with water or in his forumla/milk. Its similar ro prunes just a little more gentle for little babys.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• He's 3 months old? When my DD was that age, my Dr. suggested an oz. of Gerber pear juice (it HAS to be 100% pear juice) a couple of times a day. Sounds serious though if its been 2 weeks... I would consult a specialist.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The gas and burping is normal for a newborn. If you eat gassy foods (beans, broccoli, onion, etc) it will make his gas worse. You can give him infant gas drops for the gas...they help a lot.

BF babies don't always poop daily. I wouldn't worry about the poop at all unless your baby seems super constipated and uncomfortable (which is highly unlikely with a BF baby).

The only thing you have to be concerned with is pee. If your baby is wetting at least 6 diapers a day, seems generally satisfied until it's time for a new diaper or another feeding, and is able to sleep then all is well.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Hes all breast milk and acts like a normal happy baby for the most part but I cannot help but get scared.
    Anonymous

• oops! someone posted my answer while I was typing!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• The moms that suggested juice must not have BF. If you are still BFing do not give juice. This is too young to give juice and BF babies do not poop as often as formula fed babies.

As long as your baby wets 6 diapers a day, everything is fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• No reason to be scared at all. Sounds like everything is normal to me.

Join the BFing groups here at CafeMom. You'll find a ton of support, advice, and great information there.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2009