I live with a mother that does not like to hold her litttle girl and I dont know what to do about.

She will let her little girl cry for 30 mins or more with out picking her up, she calls her names and she is only 4 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Call CPS on her calling a baby names could constitute verbal abuse. Right now the child is only four months but as she gets older that name calling will damage her self-esteem and self-worth so call CPS now they may arrange to give her some parenting classes which the mom seems to need desperately. If you can pick up the child and console her while help is on the way.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• OMG how awful! Call the authorities. If your gut tells you something is wrong with the situation, chances are there is something wrong.

There are studies that show how early neglect can contribute to learning disabilities, behavior problems, and even cognitive development. Do you suspect this woman to have postpartum depression?
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Do you suspect mother to have post partum, or some type of depression. It isn't fair to child, mother may need some help and not aware she does.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Instead of calling CPS, try to get her to the doctor and evaluated for Post Partum Depression. Some people are just too quick to call CPS for everything. This mother sounds like she needs help for depression.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I have talked to her about getting help she says she don't need it and when ever I tell her, her little girl needs something she just says she is fine. It just makes me sad when her mother does hold her she can't stop her crying but as soon as I pick her up she stops. I have a 4 year old little boy and I will tell her thing that have worked for me but she don't want to hear it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• honestly she needs help or that little girl may grow up having a sad deppressed life! i work with mentallly and physically handicapped children and most of them are like that because of neglect! most of them were born normal. so something needs to happen and it needs to happen fast!
    Jaesmomma21

Answer by Jaesmomma21 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• every one jumps on CPS as the bad guy every time. If she is not willing to be assessed for PPD an her own then I would call CPS tell them you are concern that she has it and that you are there to help. they can help her get an evaluation and get on meds as well and therapy if needed and parenting classes if needed. CPS will not take a way a baby who is fed and warm and unharmed they will work with her to help her. there may be threats of them taking her if she in non-compliant but all in all CPS can be a big help to some families in certain situations.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If she is not willing to be assessed for PPD an her own then I would call CPS tell them you are concern that she has it and that you are there to help

agree.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 1:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Call CPS. If they think there is nothing wrong, they do nothing. If they think the family is in need of services, they offer them. People on here always assume they just take the kid when that is not the case. Usually the family enters a preventative plan so the children can remain in the home!!
    Anonymous

• YOU are just as much in the wrong as she is. Since you are not DOING what needs to be done. She needs to get a wake up call to get the help she needs. This child is suffering because your not calling. You know their is something wrong and that's why your asking for advice. Thing is you shouldn't be on here, you should be on the phone with CPS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2009