natural pushing vs. directed pushing?

i would love to hear from moms who pushed without being directed at all. just pushed with the urge rather than when someone said "ok 123 push 45678910". ;)

i have a 2 year old son and i did directed pushing with him but am hoping to do natural pushing this time. i will be midwife assisted in a hospital, as i was with my first, but different hospital and different midwife. my first prenatal appt is in 2 weeks and i of course plan to talk to her about it.

thanks ladies for sharing any experience.

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stef, it's really cool! I had both and the non-directed one was AMAZING!! :-D It was really cool especially because after transition, when you're more aware, you can "sit back" and watch your body on autopilot, doing it's own pushing.
    It was interesting to try and stay relaxed (still) and even breathe through to trying and not add intentional extra pushing.
    Relaxing into it allowed me to have a short, wonderful, low pain, ecstatic, delivery of my 10-pounder without even a tear.

Natural birthing can be FUN!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• Well I was in the transition phase I guess it is and the nurse told me not to push and I think I told her that I really felt like I needed to and she said, okay then push. So I pushed. My daughter's heartbeat went way down when I started to push, I guess she was on her umbilical cord so they did have me stop and gave me oxygen and then had me roll over to each side and push. Again they just said push when you're ready. I ended up pushing on my hands and knees for her heartbeat to go back to normal. The nurse did have me pushing for a count of ten three times for each push cycle, I think, but it was when I felt the need to push. I don't know if that is directed pushing or not.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I pushed when I was directed to with my first child. I pushed for 20 minutes and ended up having an episiotomy. I'm pretty sure my doctor just wanted to hurry up and be done. She only weighed 6lbs. 4ozs. I pushed when I felt the urge to with my other 3 children and I pushed less then 5 minutes with each one. It's so much easier to push when your body tells you to rather then when the doctor thinks you should push. I didn't have an epi with any of them.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 5:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I pushed when I felt like I needed to. Nobody tried to tell me when to push, but if they had, I might have kicked them or something. For me, pushing was the best part of the labor because it's the only time I really felt like I had any control over what my body was doing, aside from waiting for it to dilate. I doubt I could have (or would have) listened to anyone trying to coach me anyway. I had two hospital deliveries with the same midwife, if that matters.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• i ahd an epidural but when it came time to push i was in control. with both my kids i push when i ahd the urge. 8 mts with my first and 6 with my second.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• thanks everyone!! with my son the pushing was very painful and frustrating. i started to feel like i couldn't do it. overall, my birth experience was very good and fulfilling but 2 things i would want to be different this time are 1) no IV/antibiotics and 2) natural pushing. :) i really appreciate your responses!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I had a fantastic experience with sort-of directed pushing. My baby came out in just 5 pushes because the doc and nurses were so supportive and I trusted them. They let me listen to my body's signals, - they said things like "Ok, when you feel the urge, push as hard as you can, ok... 1 2 3 4 5..." and "One more push and you'll be holding your baby!" It kept me focused. And since my labor progressed too quickly for an epidural, I needed that focus, lol.

Good luck!
    Brieshon

Answer by Brieshon at 2:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2009